Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 10 and drivers

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Venosaur

Venosaur

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:53 AM

I would like to ask, what should do if have machine for example lenovo, fujitsu etc. which is support to windows 10. What I mean, when install clean windows 10 it's install force all drivers by windows update. After that user can install drivers from manufacture like lenovo, fujitsu which are special to this machine. But after that windows update again install drivers. This is very strange and i think it can damage drivers working.

I know that we can turn off drivers update by windows update. but whats the best way ?

Technicals from manufacture said that if don't have any problems install by windows update. how did You resolved this situation ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:14 AM

At work we:

- install W10

- download and install any drivers that weren't installed (we check in Device Manager).  We first look for W10 drivers, then we try W8 or W7 drivers in compatibility mode.

- run Windows Update

The systems work fine - and we don't have problems with any "damage" to drivers.

We've been doing this since W10 came out, and have continued to do it with the 1511 update - and have experienced no problems.

As a matter of fact, both Dell and HP will tell you to get drivers from Windows Update if the drivers aren't on their website(s).

Although a system may meet the system requirements to install W10 - that does not mean that it's compatible with W10.

For example, outdated BIOS/UEFI can cause many problems - and these problems aren't fixable without a BIOS/UEFI update.

The same thing goes for drivers.  If the device manufacturer decides not to support W10 for that device, then there's not much that you can do.

An example of this is the Intel SmartConnect Technology drivers.  Intel will not make them compatible w/W10 - so you're stuck either removing the device in the BIOS/UEFI, or installing the older version using compatibility mode.

Finally, compatibility isn't an all or nothing circumstance.  Rather, compatibility is a broad spectrum of issues that can cause different problems - and those problems can change radically as updates are applied to the system (not only Windows Updates - but updates to other programs also).  It's possible to have an incompatible device that appears to work just fine - until an update exposes the incompatibility and the system then has problems.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Venosaur

Venosaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:23 AM

but what when all drivers are installed, after this manufacture updater install again and after whis windows update change and install again drivers from windows update ?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:40 AM

The drivers at Windows Update come from the manufacturer of that device - not from Microsoft.

Microsoft just provides the ability to update them using Windows/Microsoft Update.

I have seen no problems with installing drivers from Windows Update.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Venosaur

Venosaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:47 AM

Yes, but when You have special driver for example nividia card from lenovo and windows update install again. Lenovo for example recommend this driver, which was install first for this machine and windows update change this on other.

than is correct to ?

#6 Venosaur

Venosaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:49 AM

recenty i can add that Technical from Microsoft said me that only drivers from webs manufacture are better to machine than windows update. that's why i am asking. :)

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:05 AM

I occasionally say the same thing - but it's not as simple as that single statement.

Determining which drivers to use is difficult.

First off, the date on the driver is not necessarily the same as the date on the installer.

Secondly, a later version number isn't always better (although, in most cases it is).

Lastly, the drivers on Windows Update are provided by the different manufacturer's, so it depends on their procedures as to how well they will work.
For example, if HP puts a driver up that affects ALL wifi devices of a certain model (not just HP's) - then there may be problems.

In general, it's better to use drivers from the device manufacturer than those from Windows Update.

This is because the device manufacturer is the one that does the creation and testing of the drivers.

BUT, sometimes the computer manufacturer will make their own changes to the drivers (as will some other manufacturers).

At times these changes are optional (and the device manufacturer's drivers will work just fine), but at other times this will cause problems with the systems.

For example, the manufacturer's of video chipsets will make drivers for those devices

Then, the manufacturer that makes the actual video device (that contains the chipset) will make changes for their devices

Then, the computer manufacturer may need to add features to the drivers so that they work with the rest of the hardware in the system (such as video switching).

In this case, installing a Windows Update driver may not be the best thing to do (and, in my case, it wrecked the AMD video on my Samsung laptop).

Now, put this all into a dynamic (constantly changing) environment.  The video problem that I had was "fixed" by Samsung by them preventing updates from Windows Updates.

And each day these things change - so the advice for one driver isn't the same as the device for another driver, nor is it the same from day to day.

What you're asking for is to have a generic statement that Windows drivers aren't any good.  That statement cannot be made in good conscience, as the circumstances change too much to let such a statement be valid under all conditions.

#8 Venosaur

Venosaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:14 AM

i have situation that Fujitsu told me that i can install from windows update, but when problems come out should be back to older. :) And now I don't know what to do :)

Because I have two card intel and nividia. I blocked them in windows update. But maybe it's better update them ? What do You think ?

#9 El Boyero

El Boyero

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:44 AM

In my case, a Lenovo IdeaPad S10-3, Windows 10 was installed early august and worked fine until Windows 10 update to version 1511.Since that update WiFi is disconnected. I have checked for new drivers in Device Manager and the current driver appears to be the best,¡ it has been impossible to recover the WiFi!. ¿Where from can I find the correct Windows 10 version 1511 driver for my wireless?

Edited by El Boyero, 09 December 2015 - 10:45 AM.

#10 Venosaur

Venosaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

Check the lenovo side. if no support to this drivers write to lenovo support with question.

all the best

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:59 PM

You need to provide exact details of the problem that you're facing, about what Fujitsu told you to do, and with what you have done already to try and fix it.

Then, we'll ask for some reports and we'll venture our opinion on what you should do.

I have no problem with making suggestions and then waiting while you check with Fujitsu.

As for what to do, that's your choice.

But no matter what, backup your stuff and set a System Restore point.

Then make sure that you can get at System Restore from your recovery media - just in case the system becomes unbootable.

#12 El Boyero

El Boyero

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:09 PM

Check the lenovo side. if no support to this drivers write to lenovo support with question.

all the best

I did check Lenovo support days ago but they don´t have any idea about the issue. Shame of Lenovo!

#13 Venosaur

Venosaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:48 PM

I did again clean install and all drivers installed handly not by desktupdater fujitsu. I did this without net connection. I turn off check drivers from system config. When I install all then I turn to internet and than check all. Now it looks work very stable. I think that in one time windows update and deskupdater fujitsu were install the same drivers, what could get not satisfastic working machine.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:02 AM

It sounds like you've fixed the problem.  Is that so?

If not, we can work further on it if you'd like.

#15 Venosaur

Venosaur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:05 AM

Now It looks fixed. :) Many thanks for Your support. How did You get the knowledge ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users