Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old School Budget Build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DarkOvercast

DarkOvercast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:37 AM

Hello, i'm new here, thought i'd post what i have and ask a few pointers from you fellow veterans.

I have a custom built computer that i bought at an estate sale of all things (:

It has the following things;
Atx 500watt power supply
Gigabyte motherboard model number ga-ep43-ds3l
Fans of various sorts
Aftermarket heat sink for the processor
Q6600 processor
Evga geforce 9600 gso 348mb? Something close to that its not the 7xx
4gb ddr ram (2 sticks @ 2gb)

I like gaming, mainly 08-older, not much for the newer stuff and most of this old school stuffs so cheap i could game fairly well with my older games i hope, the three newest games i will play is the chenobryl series, cod4 modern warfare and far cry 2

Just off the top of your heads and upgrades you think i should tackle, i'm comtemplation eventually a little bit better processor and graphics card although the ones i have are working fine at stock settings.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:32 AM

That's old hardware and really not that good for newer games.  What is the newest game you have?  For old games, that PC would work, but venture out into newer titles and you may have a painful experience.

The age of your components is going to be a problem if you decide to upgrade, there are no newer LGA775 processors for that motherboard, nor is DDR2 as widely used, plus that graphics card only goes up to DirectX 10.1.  Upgrades to your CPU would involve replacing it, the motherboard, RAM, and operating system.  Modern GPU's (GTX 900 series) could be bottlenecked by that older Core 2 CPU.  If you do decide to upgrade, you may be able to keep the chassis and power supply along with the optical drive and hard drive.

3939.png

#3 DarkOvercast

DarkOvercast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:35 PM

Newest game i have is call of duty 4 modernwarfare, an far cry 2

This is just a sorta of hobby of mine, i'm really not interested in playing all the new fancy games, older ones are fine with me, i use my computer maybe once twice a week.

I appreciate all the info on my current card and bottle necks and problems i may run into, i do plan on bunping it up to eight gigs of ram, i have 64bit operating system.

#4 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:56 AM

Since the system is quite old, you cannot upgrade it easily. It is best to just build a new PC with a better CPU and GPU. Upgrade your RAM to 8GB will not increase games performance a lot, sometimes no improvement at all, depend on the game.

What is your budget?

Edited by batman1234, 10 December 2015 - 05:56 AM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:23 AM

You could upgrade that system to a newer platform, but even that would be fairly expensive.  Upgrading the RAM may not be very beneficial unless the game is also 64-bit and can use the extra RAM.  You could also upgrade your hard drive to an SSD for a speed increase.

3939.png

#6 DarkOvercast

DarkOvercast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:45 AM

I hope you all do notice this is a hobby for older games, i do not to wish to play anything demanding, idk how many times i have to say that?

I was toying with the ssd idea (;

#7 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:51 PM

Upgrade to a SSD will improve PC performance and games will load a lot faster, but it will not increase games FPS. 8GB RAM is not needed, I don't think you will get performance boost in games with 4GB more RAM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:52 AM

I was emphasizing the situation so if you did decide to upgrade and didn't realize how interconnected things were, you wouldn't be stuck with incompatible hardware or disappointing results.

As for the SSD, there are a number of good ones on the market.  Crucial, Samsung, and Intel all make quality drives.  Would something like the Crucial BX100 2.5" 250GB be enough space for everything?

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users