Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Web Tuneup maxing out my hard drive space. Can't delete.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bioject

bioject

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:36 PM

Something is causing my C-drive to completely run out of space. I did some investigation and found a folder under AppData\Local\Packages. The folder was called windows_ie_ac_001 and it is about 36Gbs. I deleted it. The strange thing is that after I restart my computer, you can literally watch my hard drive fill up back to the 36Gbs. The folder I deleted is back too and if you go to its properties, it's increasing in size so I know it's the culprit.

Doing some more investigation I found out this problem folder is for a stupid programmed called AVG Web Tuneup. I tried to delete the program in Uninstall/Install and it won't work. 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bioject

bioject
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

Update: Looks like I solved the problem. I used IObit uninstaller to delete the program. 

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:59 PM

This isn't necessarily just an issue that would affect you on windows 10, it could occur on any windows OS. Things like this program are what are often known as "optimizers", very rarely do such programs achieve anything of the sort. AVG is a decent antivirus but they try and encourage you to install software like this at the same time, don't install this sort of program (and don't install registry cleaner's either, they're just as ineffective but even more likely to cause problems). The only ways to speed up a system are by: clearing disk space, clearing temp files, uninstalling programs you do not use, disabling un-necessry startups and background tasks and making sure it is free of malware. AVG Web Tuneup shouldn't install by itself, but it's likely to offer itself in a "would you like this" kind of way firstly in adverts for it within the AVG gui and secondly it might appear as an option you may ned to untick when you install or update the version of AVG.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 urge311

urge311

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:31 PM

I had the exact same problem on my system. Two days ago I logged onto my computer and it was painfully slow even after a reboot. I couldn't figure out what the deal was until I got a popup that my HD was nearly full. Checked available space and noticed I had roughly 30 GB of space left on a 1 TB HD with very few things installed on it. I downloaded WinDirStat and immediately noticed the culprit was the folder windows_ie_ac_001 with a 600+ GB sub directory for AVG Web Tuneup. I immediately uninstalled AVG from my system which of course did nothing but managed to free up the space by just deleting the folder manually through file explorer. Reboot of PC and the storage space is still in the green. I've used AVG for years and never had this issue so i'm assuming some recent update caused this. 

#5 labstudios

labstudios

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 16 December 2015 - 07:35 PM

I had the exact same issue this week. It made me sad. AVG used to be such a good, quiet antivirus. Now it looks like they use the antivirus software as a means to cause problems and sell you software to fix said problems. I had lost over 200 GB in the last week. Using WinDirStat I was able to locate the folder noted in the post above and found AVG had taken 230 GB; about a third of my laptop hard drive.

I uninstalled the AVG software, then opened up a command line terminal and deleted the bloated folder that way. Windows just took too long trying to figure out how long it was going to take to delete the files.  :lol:

#6 wfallon

wfallon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:08 AM

windows_ie_ac_001 is part of IE, and Crypto, it stores temp internet files.

If you want to keep AVG, go to setting and uncheck Tuneup, although it's best to uninstall it, reinstall only the AV part.

As far as IObit is concerned, don't be surprised to find that you have Advanced SystemCare installed on your PC.

Bill

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:53 PM

As a quick note, I used to use AVG once (switched to avast though due to a few bugs I had, bugs unrelated to the topics under discussion in ths thread) and although offered that tuneup tool was always able to reject it and use the antivirus wiithout the tuneup "performance" tool getting installed too. Also back when I used Avg (2013 summer until 2014 autumn) I found that although an icon for tuneup exsted with the UI of the antivirus the tuneup stuff would never run unless you clicked to let it, although it often tried to make itself sound important to encourage you to run it.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users