Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reloading Windows 8.1 On New HDD on a Toshiba Satelitte C55-B5270 With No Disk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bamamcall

Bamamcall

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:56 PM

I bought this about a year ago and the hard drive went out last week. Have no idea if I can ever get the info off my drive. But I need to put a new drive in but Toshiba sent  no disks with the laptop. How do I get 8.1 on my new drive and make it go again. Also I don't know if this matters but I bought a Toshiba HDD from best buy and its a 1TB. The old one was 500GB. I don't if this will work on 8.1.

I would upgrade to Win 10 but y quickbooks and quicken are old and won't work inside ten now. It saves me $500 if I can just use this other laptop for my quickbooks.

Any links or help you could give me would be great. Links tutorials anything. I want to do this myself. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:07 PM

Hi,

You can download Windows 8.1 directly from Microsoft here create an USB flash drive or ISO, make sure you select the same language and edition you had on the old hdd.

During install when it ask for the windows Key simply press Skip or equivalent option. The activation key is stored on the BIOS/UEFI and Windows should activate automatically.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Bamamcall

Bamamcall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:26 PM

Thank you for the help.

Edited by Bamamcall, 09 December 2015 - 01:46 AM.

#4 Bamamcall

Bamamcall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:53 PM

How do I know if my former copy was 32 bit or 64 bit? I have 8 gigs of ram which came standard with it.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:05 PM

If you had 8GB of RAM you had 64bit because 32bit can only access at most about 4GB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users