Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Specific Question About Connection Sharing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CantHateGreat

CantHateGreat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:27 PM

Overview:
I am a college student running on the college's network. The college blocks access to different things, and so I use a VPN to get around it. I purchased some time on Hotspot Shield VPN. The main thing I would like to do is use the VPN connection to play online with my Xbox One (which is blocked by the school).

Setup:
I currently use an ethernet cable to connect my desktop to the college network. I then use the built in Sharing function of windows to share the VPN connection with a wireless USB adapter that is set to AP mode. I then connect my Xbox One to said connection. I know it is a fairly poor setup, but I don't have much to work with.

Problem:
The Xbox One can connect to Xbox Live, but when trying to join parties to chat with friends, or searching for games, it says that network settings are blocking these options. I test "Multiplayer Connection" using the built in tester on the Xbox One and it throws an error saying I need to open a UDP port. Is that even possible when I am virtually providing the connection? If so how would I do it? Or is this more likely a problem with the VPN itself?

Any help or knowledge would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:00 AM

I don't think you're going to be able to do it as the UDP port needs to be opened on the VPN's side.  You'd have to work with them to be sure.  Either way I don't think it will be very playable going through a VPN do to lag.  You're going from the XBox to your machine to the VPN machine before you hit the Internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users