Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for some help upgrading my PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ynozzar

Ynozzar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:03 AM

Hi,

I'm currently runinng the following setup:

- CPU: i7 950 @3.06GHz

- GPU: GTX 650

- RAM: 8gb (Corsair Vengeance)

- Motherboard: Sabertooth X58

- HD: WD Green 1TB

- Cooler: DeepCool Ice Wind Pro

- Supply: Corsair GS700

- Case: NZXT Phantom

I mainly want to upgrade the GPU, and I want to get an SSD, now that christmas comes, but on some budget, so here is what I was thinking about:

- GPU: GTX 950 or 750Ti // Radeon R9 285 or 270

- SSD: Samsung SM951

- Motherboard: Any Z97 or X99 with matching socket

- CPU: i5 6500 or 6600

In order to get the best of the SSD I definetely need to get an NVMe motherboard. I've more or less been following Passmark's benchmarks, but that's a simple number and I believe human recommendations are far better.

So my main concerns are; are those GPU worth? Is there any other out there with good cash-to-performance ratio?

And, is the CPU upgrade worth? How much difference would it be if I'd overclock my current i7?

Then, recommendations for the motherboard, there's lots of models for both the Z97 and X99, so I'm not really sure how I should choose what I end up buying. Also, I've been reading that the Skylake chipsets (LGA1151) are not compatible with anything prior to them, and I also found that the only chipsets with NVMe are Z97 and X99, if this is true, there's no NVMe for the new 6th gen Intel Cores, right?

And lastly, seeing as the upgrades sum up quite a bit, I'm also thinking about how much of an upgrade a laptop could be, with an investment of 700 or 800€. Never had one, and they nevear appealed to me, but as a student it's really useful to bring your PC with you, and I'm positive that even a laptop would have higher specs than my PC.

Thanks a lot beforehand!

Edited by Ynozzar, 08 December 2015 - 11:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GoFigure

GoFigure

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:40 PM

If you want the i5-6600 you will need a z170 board.  The EVGA board will support the Samsung drive but you have to jump through hoops to get it working (

You will also need to buy DDR4 ram for the z170.

The Nvidia 750Ti is a good board.  Your board selection has more to do with the software you run, such as cad, graphics, or games.  If cost is an issue then that will drive the card you select.

Your current system is outdated and I would not invest any money into it.  Overclocking, if available, won't do much for an old system.  Your primary drive is super slow since it was designed primarily as a storage drive not as a primary drive.

Laptops are convenient but again it depends on what you are going to use it for.  And if you wanted a high end laptop you would end up spending a couple thousand dollars for it.

When I am building a computer I decide on which cpu I want and then build around it shopping for the best deals on the components that I have selected and if necessary I buy them over several months, spreading out the costs. I found out that if the 'I want it now' bug bites me I settle for less than the best and the hardware quickly becomes outdated. So I always try to get the latest cpu and motherboard and ram.  The other components can be reused from an old system and upgraded as you can afford.  Just a couple suggestions.  Unfortunately hardware and funds available aren't always compatible.

#3 Ynozzar

Ynozzar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:55 PM

If you want the i5-6600 you will need a z170 board.  The EVGA board will support the Samsung drive but you have to jump through hoops to get it working (

You will also need to buy DDR4 ram for the z170.

Thanks a lot for the response, and... that kind of kills it, I really thought I would be able to keep the RAM.

Then do you recomend a new system, right? That would actually be CPU, motherboard, GPU, RAM and SSD. Power supply should be fine I guess. In that case it may be a laptop could be a better choice, as it is an AiO.

I mainly run games, Visual Studio and 3dsMax, with some Photoshop. And I keep everything clean always, so it runs the smoothiest it can. Any recommendtions on specific hardware (desktop or laptop) on a medium budget would be appreciated then.

Thanks beforehand!

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:17 PM

If you are going to buy a new mobo I would just build a new system. You can keep the psu and case if you are on a budget.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 GoFigure

GoFigure

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:54 PM

If you are on a tight budget you can get a lot of bang for the buck by buying a refurbished computer from a manufacturer.  I have bought many laptops from the Dell Outlet store for 1/3 to 1/2 the retail price and they came with a 3 year warrantly.  None of them have failed so far and several are over 5 years old.  Normal laptops are not great for gaming.  You would need to watch the specs of the laptop compared to the games and other software you run.  Normally I get the cheapest laptop with the processor, drive, and graphics I want and then upgrade the memory to 16GB.  That is cheaper than buying one with a lot of memory installed for some reason.  You can also find refurbished desktops.  But I would only buy them from a reputable source and would check the warranty, which is why I use the manufacturers outlet stores.  I have also bought refurbished HP computers.

I know how it is to be on a tight budget so I am happy to provide you with any help I can.

#6 Ynozzar

Ynozzar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:36 AM

Well, thanks a lot guys. I've been checking refurbished stores here, but they have 20% discount at most, and with 6 months warranty only. For the 100 bucks difference I'd take a new one, but I guess things work different in the US than in EU, I'm postive that stores here would just sell it as new and good to go.

So I guess I'll just build a new computer step by step. So, once more, lots of thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users