Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I overcharge my laptop's battery?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Psyga315

Psyga315

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:30 AM

Alright, so I have a Dell Laptop running on Windows 10 and last night I forgot to unplug the charger upon shutting it off. When I turned it back on, I unplugged the charger, I'm greeted with an absurdly long time battery lifespan. Did I overcharge the battery? Is it going to be stuck at 100% then suddenly it becomes 25%? Is it simply nothing for me to worry about and that it'll balance itself out?

Attached is the amount of time that the laptop is telling me and the battery information from Dell's Power Manager.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:56 PM

What model of laptop is this? It appears your battery is failing.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Psyga315

Psyga315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

What model of laptop is this? It appears your battery is failing.

Not sure, but I managed to fix it by shutting off my computer and pulling the battery out, then putting it back in. It's now back to normal.

EDIT: Inspiron 5558

Edited by Psyga315, 08 December 2015 - 10:37 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:52 PM

I think you are worrying needlessly. Leaving a charger connected overnight is not going to do your battery any noticeable harm at all.

Ideally, you should disconnect the charger once the battery is fully charged, but if bedtime comes first - then go to bed !  Keeping the battery on charge continuously will shorten battery life, or so the supplier of a spare battery informed me once. He also said that once the battery is charged you should run the laptop on the battery until you get the low voltage warning and then plug the charger back in but don't worry about one night.

Further, unless Captain Chicken, at #2, saw something in your images that I didn't, I don't think you have a potential battery problem. Your second image shows "Battery health: excellent."

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 Psyga315

Psyga315
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:42 PM

I think you are worrying needlessly. Leaving a charger connected overnight is not going to do your battery any noticeable harm at all.

Ideally, you should disconnect the charger once the battery is fully charged, but if bedtime comes first - then go to bed !  Keeping the battery on charge continuously will shorten battery life, or so the supplier of a spare battery informed me once. He also said that once the battery is charged you should run the laptop on the battery until you get the low voltage warning and then plug the charger back in but don't worry about one night.

Further, unless Captain Chicken, at #2, saw something in your images that I didn't, I don't think you have a potential battery problem. Your second image shows "Battery health: excellent."

Chris Cosgrove

To be fair, I wasn't exactly worried. I think it's because the last laptop I had got an extremely old battery (it was an Apple Laptop from I think 10 years ago) and how most of the items I have with batteries are hand-me-downs that suffer from overcharge or have old batteries.

I'm well aware of how batteries are now advanced enough to shut off the charging process when they are fully charged. But seeing the amount of time made me confused, and in the process, yes, worried. I came over to here to find out if there was anything remotely wrong with the battery, but I managed to fix the problem.

And yes, I do tend to charge the battery once it hits 25%, some times a little earlier. I'll try not to sweat over one night and be sure to charge only when it needs it. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users