Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Problem?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 revmerriwhether

revmerriwhether

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:09 PM

A recent power outage left my computer inoperable. The computer was running when the power outage occured and since then it won't boot. When power is connected the standby LED on the motherboard lights up, but no power seems to reach anything else when I attempt to switch the power on. No fans will turn on, no drives nor POST.

My problem is I'm not sure what's causing the issue; motherboard, PSU or power switch. With power reaching the board I'd like to omit the PSU as a problem but I've no experience with PC troubleshooting. Power switch seems highly unlikely so I'm thinking motherboard but I'd like to be sure.

asus a8n sli deluxe motherboard
Antec sonata II case w/450w PSU

I pieced this computer together over a year ago and never had a problem, power outages occured while it was operating in the past and never had an issue.

P.S. I tried searching for a similar topic but came up with no results.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:06 AM

Chances are it may be your power supply.

Your best bet is (firstly) to disconnect any additional peripheral devices than may be hogging power (ie. CD/DVD USB devices) and just have your CPU, MB, HDD, mouse and keyboard connected and try to power up. If this does not work, your next step is to try an alternate PSU (if you have a spare PC, or a friends PC).
Alternatively you can take it to a PC shop (not Harvey Normans but an actual PC seller) and see if they will let you try one of their PSUs (usually they will have one or two set up anyway for fault testing PCs). Then you will be able to find out if it is your power supply, and while youre there, you can buy a new one (if needed).
Otherwise (worst case) it may be your motherboard...

Hope that helps :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:57 AM

Hi revmerriwhether, and welcome to BC.

When you had this power outage, did the power just drop off, or did brown out?

One thing you could do is take a voltage meter and check the voltages on the twenty pin connector.

Posted Image

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users