Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in Automatic Repair Loop

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 floyd1039

floyd1039

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:58 AM

I have read most of the headers in this forum and some of the discussion and not found any help that I have not already tried. I have an Asus Laptop running Win 10, upgraded from win 7. While reading one of the many links from Facebook, using Chrome as a browser, I got a popup that looked like some kind of ransomware . The popup would not close so I turned off the computer.

Now when I turn the computer on it flashes the Asus logo. Then “preparing automatic repair”, “diagnosing your computer” followed by “repairing your computer” appear.

It then tells me that the PC did not start correctly and gives me the option to restart or advanced options. Restart brings me back to this point.

Advanced options gives me three options, Turn orr the PC that does that, Exit and continue to Win 10 that gets me back to the previous step or troubleshoot.

Trouble shoot gives me the options to reset or more advanced options.

Reset is either a partial or full removal and reinstall or windows. I have some academic software that I do not want to lose if possible and in any case do not have any media to do a Windows reinstall.

The advanced options gives me six choices.

1 System Restore, but there are no restore points found.

2 System image recovery, but I do not have an image disc .

3 Startup repair, starts the process all over and does not find the problem.

4 Command Prompt, appears to open a working command prompt.

5 Startup Settings, Gives me a non clickable list of options but just continues the loop.

6 Go back to previous build. It warns me that I may lose apps and any changes I have made, but not my personal files.

The System is an ASUS laptop, X54C, made in 2012 with Widows 7 Home premium updated to win 10.

I have no other access to the computer.

I can hear the hard drive running when I do something so I do not think it is the problem.

I am not sure if this is the correct place but please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:14 PM

You can hear the hard drive running?  That's usually not a good thing.

Start by typing these 3 commands at the command prompt.

Press Enter after each one.

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

bootrec /rebuildBCD  (this one will ask you to answer Y or Yes at some point - go ahead and do it)

If it still doesn't boot, then start with these free, bootable diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 floyd1039

floyd1039
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:54 PM

Thanks for the response. I am spending a lot of time away from home and do not trust hotel WIFI for this.

You can hear the hard drive running?  That's usually not a good thing.

More specifically I hear the head seeking and the CD head moving.

Start by typing these 3 commands at the command prompt.

Press Enter after each one.

bootrec /fixmbr

Ran with no problem

bootrec /fixboot

Ran with no problem

bootrec /rebuildBCD  (this one will ask you to answer Y or Yes at some point - go ahead and do it)

This never asked me to answer, It found no files to rebuild. Also after this the pc would not boot. I looked at the BIOS and all options were disabled. ?? I got the BIOS set to boot to usb and let a linus distro check the hard drive. It reported two files with errors but not which ones. The memtest86 is running now wnd I will run a cold scan in the morning. I did not install linux.

#4 floyd1039

floyd1039
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:11 PM

I ran the cold memory scan through five cycles and found no errors. I can not discover the type of hard drive without opening the pc so I ran the first tool i could get to from the list. Seatoole for dos did not find a disc. I went to the next step in installing UBUNTU intending to have a second OS so that maybe I could move files to a network drive and UBUNTU did not find an OS. I am getting a really bad feeling about this.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:24 AM

2 possibilities for the Seatools not seeing the drive:

- The system may not see the hard drive unless you change that AHCI settings in the BIOS (don't forget to change it back when done).

- The hard drive is so dead that the system cannot see it.

Another thing to try would be another hard drive test - such as the Western Digital Data Lifeguard

Beyond that, I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 floyd1039

floyd1039
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:41 PM

I hope this is allowed here. I continued searching and found  on microsoft.com a thread with this problem. I downloaded from MS and ran windows 10 repair software. I had to run it four times before it worked completely.  thanks for all the help

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-boot-error-0xc000014c/877ac7df-76a9-4dc8-a99b-3b6992dce8f9

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2016 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for posting this.  It'll help when others come looking for help with similar problems.

Great work!

#8 joenobodyyet

joenobodyyet

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:47 PM

Could you send the download link to the windows 10 repair software please? I have the same issue that you had. I've tried everything from the posts on the internet to fix the Automatic Repair error. I'm on a friend's computer now by the way.

I hope this is allowed here. I continued searching and found  on microsoft.com a thread with this problem. I downloaded from MS and ran windows 10 repair software. I had to run it four times before it worked completely.  thanks for all the help

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-boot-error-0xc000014c/877ac7df-76a9-4dc8-a99b-3b6992dce8f9

#9 joenobodyyet

joenobodyyet

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:58 AM

I think I downloaded the correct thing... I downloaded the Media Creation Tool then ran it on my working computer and then saved that to a DVD. I inserted the DVD into the "broken" laptop and I'm not sure what to do now. My options are Troubleshoot and Turn Off Your PC. So I select "Troubleshoot" and my next options are "System Restore", "System Image Recovery", "Startup Repair", "Command Prompt", "UEFI Firmware Settings", and "Go Back to the Prevous Build"

#10 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:36 AM

Please start a new post to,prevent confusion and allow,us to best help you

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#11 joenobodyyet

joenobodyyet

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:33 PM

Will do thank you!

Please start a new post to,prevent confusion and allow,us to best help you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users