Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird things with my laptop screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:08 AM

Issue date and initial symptoms:  all of a sudden, months ago Current issues and symptoms:  laptop screen flickers like a mad beast, lines appears and nothing can be see on the screen Steps taken in order to fix the machine: - checked drivers, they are up to date (test with original OEM drivers , same)
- issue present even without any softs installed after reinstallation of OS. Operating System:  Win10 (issue present on any Windows, so not OS related) Architecture:  64-bit
now the weird things:

1- screen flickers even during boot except when Rollback RX bootscreen or BIOS screen is loaded or just before the login screen of Windows (flickers stop while the windows "circle" is animating) or when Windows is shutting down...
1- if plugged-in (so not on battery), the screen flickers from "very rarely" to "no more"...
2- if on battery, and if i put the screen into some special angles, the flickers may vanish or be reduced...
3- if im on battery and i open my browser and surf to any website, the flickers stop...if i minimize my browser the flickers restart...
4- if i open WIn10 start menu, flickers stop...
5- if i link my laptop to my TV via HDMI cable, no flickers on TV...if i do dual view, screen flickers but not the TV

now what the hell is happening !

so my actual fix is to be plugged as much as possible but by this i wear my battery...

Edited by Umbrapolaris, 08 December 2015 - 07:31 AM.

Emsisoft Community Manager

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:41 PM

I suspect two possible causes:
The screen cable might be loose or partially broken: It is formed of multiple thin cables. The cable path usually goes from the motherboard to the screen through the left hinge. Every-time the screen is opened/closed some "pressure" is applied to the cable. With time the thin cables can break and make false contacts. That would explain why the screen works positioned at certain angles.
Cable needs to be reattached or replaced.

The LCD panel (and/or the inverter on non-LED screens) is bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users