Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"boot Disk Error"

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mr. jones

mr. jones

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:50 PM

my friends computer seems to have crashed on him again. i say again cuz this is like the hundreth time this has happened to the damn thing. but yes anyways, it started that it was saying their was not enough virtual memory on the system (a blue screen that just takes over then restarts the computer.) but then when it restarts, it doesn't register the primary master and slave... then goes to boot error. apparently the boot disk we were using doesn't work anymore either, so that doesn't help. any one have any idea of what i should do?

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:06 PM

The boot disk will not work because the cd-rom drive for it is on the primary cable set as a slave and the primary cable is either not plugged in properly ot it is defective. One one side of the cable you will notice a red discoloration on the wire and it will be just one side. This is the side that Pin #1 is on. Most cables are keyed with a rectangular pointed key and they only fit into the motherboard one way. The primary cable usually goes into the primary connector on the motherboard and of course the other end if the cable is wired straight thru can go to either master drive or slave drive - same with the middle connector but 80 wire ribbon cables are different. The blue connector goes to the primary connector on the motherboard and the end one has to go to the master drive and the middle one is the slave drive = no exceptions on this one cable you can not switch them around.

If this is what is wrong with the computer this little tutorial should help but what would help more is somebody who knows what is going on here and can work on it on-site.

#3 mr. jones

mr. jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:33 PM

but the cd drives both register... i think. all the lights go on and whatnot, and that seems to be fine and dandy. the boot disk we've used is a floppy as i still have one of them. and even with that, i found an old windows 98 boot disk that wasnt labeled... but when i put it in there it started using that one. so all my drives and what not seem to be connected as far as i know. so i have no idea whats going on.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:58 AM

What do you see whan you go into computer management?

start/programs/administrative tools/computer management/disk management

#5 mr. jones

mr. jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 05:30 PM

im not sure what you mean. all i can get into is awardBIOS setup.. (pressing dle from boot.) cant get any farther then that

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:08 PM

Well from what you said it does not register the primary master and slave but does the cd and/or dvd drives and these then are on the second cable which is alright. What you have to do is make sure the drive select settings are correct on the primary cable and that everything is plugged in correctly. If you tell me that they are then you would not be having this problem.

#7 mr. jones

mr. jones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:17 PM

the cables are connected properly, but im not sure about the drive settings... i know that the primary master was 'maxtor something' but it comes and goes when booting up. i dunno how to change all that tho

#8 cheto

cheto

• Banned
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:17 PM

my friends computer seems to have crashed on him again. i say again cuz this is like the hundreth time this has happened to the damn thing. but yes anyways, it started that it was saying their was not enough virtual memory on the system (a blue screen that just takes over then restarts the computer.) but then when it restarts, it doesn't register the primary master and slave... then goes to boot error. apparently the boot disk we were using doesn't work anymore either, so that doesn't help. any one have any idea of what i should do?

thanks!

restore his/her computer that will free alot virtual memory

p.s have rocevry discs ready

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:35 PM

You could have a hard drive problem with the master hard drive.

If there is a secondary (slave) hard drive try disconnecting it and booting again.

Your bios may also not be set to boot from the floppy.
Check your boot order in the bios.

Do you have either a Restore CD or a Windows Installation CD for this computer (one from another computer will not work)?

#10 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:36 PM

This article is for a Seagate hard drive and the only part of this article you look at that counts is the drive select settings. These are mostly the same for all drives what you do is set the one for drive C: as master and the other drive as a slave. then turn your computer back on and see if it works. If it recognises the drives on bootup and does not boot then switch the settings around and reboot. One of them should work

What is Cable Select and How Do I configure my Seagate ATA Drive to Use It? =
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq...ble_select.html

#11 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:01 PM

Maybe I'm way off-base here, but I think the hard drive is too full. The system needs a sufficient amount of memory to start - if there is insufficient memory, the computer starts passing some of the working files to the hard drive - but if there isn't enough room for virtual memory, there's no place for the files to go. One possible way to fix this if it is indeed the problem is to add memory - too many machines were built with only 256 mb of RAM.

If this is a computer that was upgraded from an earlier operating system, chances are it's running FAT32, in which case you could start the computer using a Windows 98 boot disk (or ME) and delete some of the files in order to give it enough room to boot.

Otherwise, you'll need to use a boot CD like UBCD and use it to delete some files to gain space. Possibly, just getting rid of .tmp files could do it.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:53 PM

Hi mr. jones!

Are you able to get into Windows at all?

From your posts you've stated that you can get into the BIOS (by pressing Del).

When you boot with a bootable CD (like the Windows XP CD) in the CD drive - are you able to adjust things in the BIOS so that it tries to boot from the CD drive? (you'll see a bunch of flashing going on on the face of the CD drive if it's trying).

What make and model is this computer? If it's custom built, what make and model is the motherboard? Have any significant changes been made to it since it was purchased (new or replaced components)

Was the boot disk that you were using a floppy disk? If so, have you tried to download a new one from http://www.bootdisk.com ? Was it a commercial disk - and if so, what did the label say?

Have you tried to reset the CMOS? To do this, you'll unplug the computer from the wall, open the case, ground yourself by holding onto the metal of the case, and remove the battery from the motherboard. Leave it out for 30 minutes, then reverse the process to put it back in (keeping contact with the metal of the case to prevent static discharge from harming anything). Then try and boot up - did this fix it?

Let us know the answers to these questions and we can get a good start at fixing this for him.

If you ever get him back into Windows - we'll need the information from the Blue Screen - so tell him to set a pencil and piece of paper next to his monitor.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 DNice

DNice

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:14 PM

Hello All,

I am having a similar error with the boot sector. I used the XP pro boot disks and get to the point where I can hit "R" for the Recovery Console. I do but then the computer freezes at the scanning of the Hard Drive, right before it goes into the Recover Console. It states, scanning or examining Hard Disk at ID 0, etc. (all of the attributes with a number have 0) and it freezes. So that is my dilemma, I can't even get to the recover console to correct the error.

Now, for some reason, I was able to hit "Last Good Configuration" and Windows XP logo appeared and continued to load but then right before it goes into the user screen, the computer automatically restarts. I also tried to go into Safe Mode and Safe Mode command prompt and the computer freezes at mup.sys.

Very frustrating but I have come to the conclusion, maybe because I'm pissed, that the hard drive is screwed up and therefore needs a garbage can. I would appreciate any assistance in this matter.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:58 PM

Probably is the hard drive - but that doesn't mean that it's trashed.

Have you tried a repair install of XP?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:11 PM

It isn't necessarily the hard drive. It's possible that it fails right about the time it's loading a driver for a failed piece of hardware. I've had limited luck removing either a video card or disconnecting a CD drive and the machine will finish booting. In this case it sounds more like a soundcard or something because it gets as far as it does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users