Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

backing up registry in Windows-10

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:13 AM

I am trying to learn the easiest and safest way to backup and restore windows-10 registry. I see many tutorials, but am wondering about such tools as ERUNTgui. Regback and Eruntgui : Backup. Would love some advice....Thanks...Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:04 AM

The easiest and safest way to do this is to set a System Restore point.

Beyond that, you can use free tools to back it up.  I used to use ERUNT, but haven't tried it in years.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:22 AM

Hi,

ERUNT wasn't updated to support Windows 7 and higher it works but the backup will not include all the registry components and some time it fails throwing some error.

A better tool is Tweaking.com - Registry Backup this one is updated frequently.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:31 AM

Thanks for your reply,,, have heard so much about Sys restore, I guess I am a little Leary.  I have never use it,,,Sure will consider tho...Thanks...Jim

#5 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:38 AM

Hi,

ERUNT wasn't updated to support Windows 7 and higher it works but the backup will not include all the registry components and some time it fails throwing some error.

A better tool is Tweaking.com - Registry Backup this one is updated frequently.

Thank you...Much appreciation to all...Jim

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:43 AM

System restore was not real reliable when it first came out (but it's always done good registry backups).

It made great strides with each release since XP - to the point where it was reliable in W7 and later versions

I still retained my aversion to it, but with W10 I've begun to use it regularly at work - I make a restore point as the last thing that I do to a system before completing the service on that system.

Edited by usasma, 08 December 2015 - 07:44 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:47 AM

System restore was not real reliable when it first came out (but it's always done good registry backups).

It made great strides with each release since XP - to the point where it was reliable in W7 and later versions

I still retained my aversion to it, but with W10 I've begun to use it regularly at work - I make a restore point as the last thing that I do to a system before completing the service on that system.

Good info,,,I had not even looked at it in a while.....I sure might give it a whirle....Thanks...jim

#8 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:13 PM

The Tweaking.com All in one repair does an exelent registry backup as mentioned,you can also use the Registry itsel to backup.

Open Regedit ( Run Regedit.exe)

Go to the top left file menu and just click on "Export" and it,ll back up the registry for you.

http://www.techregar.com/how-to-backup-windows-10-registry/

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:21 PM

Open Regedit ( Run Regedit.exe)
Go to the top left file menu and just click on "Export" and it,ll back up the registry for you.

http://www.techregar.com/how-to-backup-windows-10-registry/

Using an export like that isn't impossible to restore the registry just one example there are no information about the Registry permissions!

The export only works in very simple situations.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#10 Jim-Bo

Jim-Bo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:58 PM

Good info all around,,,I am still looking all examples over...Just not really qualified to make that decision..:)....Thanks to all...jim

#11 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:24 PM

I have one question,I dual boot windows8.1 and 10,do I have to backup both.

#12 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:38 PM

Using an export like that isn't impossible to restore the registry just one example there are no information about the Registry permissions!

Oh right i didnt actually know that,although i assumed somehow you got a less sophisticated backup than with Erunt,which i used to use.Using the Win all in one repair backup currently.Havnt actually managed to fudge the registry since xp but theirs plenty of time:).Thanks for the info.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 09 December 2015 - 09:46 PM.

#13 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:45 PM

I have one question,I dual boot windows8.1 and 10,do I have to backup both.

You should probably have started a new topic for that,but anyway,you should probably backup both partitions seperatly,depending on what kind of backup you were going to do.In theory you could probably make a system image of the whole thing but thats probably not advisable,hopefully someone more knowlegable

will reply.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 09 December 2015 - 09:46 PM.

#14 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

Sorry,should have been more specific.I meant using tweaking.com registry backup should I save both systems.

#15 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

Sorry,should have been more specific.I meant using tweaking.com registry backup should I save both systems.

In that case,yes of course,both are independent systems with their own registry sructure,so you would boot into Win 8.1.back that up then boot into 10 and back that up...presumably you have the Win repair program on both installs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users