Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files only open via admin?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bobyboy

bobyboy

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:42 AM

Recently needed to reinstall windows 10 via my saved Windows Image and now I cannot open or move any file unless I right click and run as administrator, how can I change that please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

See:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-files/how-do-i-change-folder-and-file-permissions/465f2b42-63dd-4486-8dd1-c870290efeed

Even though it's from the Vista era I just tried it, going as far as I could, and the same dialogs still pop up.  Be certain that you are logged in as a user with admin permissions and use the "Run as admin" feature when you open File Explorer.  I presume you'll want to do this applying to the entire C: drive (or similar), so that's what to go to the Properties->Security panel for.

This article, http://www.thewindowsclub.com/take-ownership-windows-8

may also be of interest, though I'd go with the one I listed first before trying what's shown in this one (which was written for Win8).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 RDeck

RDeck

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

My system was Win 8 that was upgraded to Win 10 in August. I just had this problem December 9. It started with slow system response and network failures with Wi-Fi and Ethernet. I couldn't launch taskmgr.exe, eventlog, malware programs any applications. The response I got was,"the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion". I had not tried open with admin privileges.

I noticed that the current Win 10 update 1155 had attempted 18 times and failed. So I assume another problem. I turned off networking. I did research with another computer and found this was similar to a XP problem that was corrected with FxRamnit. I ran FxRamnit it would not launch until I ran with admin privileges. No problems were found. I ran the other applications and malware programs using admin and checked the event logs. Did not find anything remarkable. After this I can now run applications without admin privileges. I don't know what changed.

The last thing I did was restart Win 10 update to install the 3 patches and Win 10 Home. Everything seems to be fine now and I don't know what broke.

BTW: The windows 10 anytime update is getting to be a pain as system performance is affected. I did not event know the last Win 10 update was failing until I had the application problem.  

Thanks Brian for the link to Microsoft. I always find I don't understand anything about computers.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:08 AM

RDeck - please start your own topic so that your issues can get the individual attention that they deserve.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users