Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Files only open via admin?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bobyboy

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:42 AM

Recently needed to reinstall windows 10 via my saved Windows Image and now I cannot open or move any file unless I right click and run as administrator, how can I change that please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,542 posts
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

See:  https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-files/how-do-i-change-folder-and-file-permissions/465f2b42-63dd-4486-8dd1-c870290efeed

Even though it's from the Vista era I just tried it, going as far as I could, and the same dialogs still pop up.  Be certain that you are logged in as a user with admin permissions and use the "Run as admin" feature when you open File Explorer.  I presume you'll want to do this applying to the entire C: drive (or similar), so that's what to go to the Properties->Security panel for.

This article, http://www.thewindowsclub.com/take-ownership-windows-8

may also be of interest, though I'd go with the one I listed first before trying what's shown in this one (which was written for Win8).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 RDeck

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

My system was Win 8 that was upgraded to Win 10 in August. I just had this problem December 9. It started with slow system response and network failures with Wi-Fi and Ethernet. I couldn't launch taskmgr.exe, eventlog, malware programs any applications. The response I got was,"the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion". I had not tried open with admin privileges.

I noticed that the current Win 10 update 1155 had attempted 18 times and failed. So I assume another problem. I turned off networking. I did research with another computer and found this was similar to a XP problem that was corrected with FxRamnit. I ran FxRamnit it would not launch until I ran with admin privileges. No problems were found. I ran the other applications and malware programs using admin and checked the event logs. Did not find anything remarkable. After this I can now run applications without admin privileges. I don't know what changed.

The last thing I did was restart Win 10 update to install the 3 patches and Win 10 Home. Everything seems to be fine now and I don't know what broke.

BTW: The windows 10 anytime update is getting to be a pain as system performance is affected. I did not event know the last Win 10 update was failing until I had the application problem.  

Thanks Brian for the link to Microsoft. I always find I don't understand anything about computers.

#4 usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,084 posts
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:08 AM

RDeck - please start your own topic so that your issues can get the individual attention that they deserve.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users