Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 laptop randomly turns off (takes at least 5 minutes to reboot)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 maske3344

maske3344

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:53 PM

Hello, I ran into a problem where my month-old laptop doesn't sleep but randomly turns off.

I have to restart it, and it takes at least 5 minutes to reboot.

It doesn't have any heating or BSOD problems, and I haven't touched any settings (it's set to sleep).

The problem started two days before I updated Windows 10. It was fine for a day after updating, but the problem started again today.

Please help.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:21 AM

Use SpeedFan tool to monitor computer temperature. Use Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Diagnostic Tool to repair surface error and view health of HDD.

Scan computer memory for errors with MemTest86+ CD make sure to run the test at least five times.

Update all device drivers to latest one and install all important Windows updates.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 maske3344

maske3344
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:01 PM

Temperature is initally around 30 to 35 degrees Celcius, and it can go I guess up to 40 to 45 Cel over time.

Can you give me a safe link to one of the HDD Diagnostic Tool because I don't know much about the tool and get skeptical...

Also, does MemTest86+ need a CD to run? If so, I don't a CD drive installed in my laptop.

Thank you.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:05 PM

Temperature is initally around 30 to 35 degrees Celcius, and it can go I guess up to 40 to 45 Cel over time.

Can you give me a safe link to one of the HDD Diagnostic Tool because I don't know much about the tool and get skeptical...

Also, does MemTest86+ need a CD to run? If so, I don't a CD drive installed in my laptop.

Thank you.

I'm sorry for answering your questions this late but i was very busy for a while.
The website link Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools has all the links to HDD Diagnostic Tools if your HDD brand name is SeaGate the use SeaTools if your HDD brand name is Western Digital (WD) then use  Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows.
Follow instructions at the below website link to create bootable MemTest86+ USB.

http://superuser.com/questions/727959/how-to-create-a-bootable-memtest86-on-usb-flash-drive

Edited by FreeBooter, 14 December 2015 - 01:05 PM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#5 maske3344

maske3344
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 204 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:52 AM

I have HGST HTS541010A7E630 hard drive, so I clicked on Hitachi download link, but it just led me to http://www.hgst.com/#DFT

I don't know what or how to download from the site...

And I ran MemTest86+ and wrote an image.

What does this do anyway? 

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:32 AM

You can use HGST Windows Drive Fitness Test (WinDFT) tool to test hitachi HDD.
Memetestx86+ needs to be run at least five time to test memory for error if there is error or errors then you need to replace the faulty memody module.

"HGST Windows Drive Fitness Test (WinDFT)"
https://www.hgst.com/support/hard-drive-support/downloads

Edited by FreeBooter, 20 December 2015 - 09:34 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users