Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Belkin G Wireless USB Adapter Not working. Driver problems

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Samnotsowise

Samnotsowise

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:29 PM

Okay, so I got this 2009 gateway computer for free I put it up in my room. Now, I wanted to get internet on it of course, but our modem and router is downstairs. There's no wireless card in the computer. So instead of hooking up with a really long ethernet cable or buying a wireless card I decided to get a wireless usb adapter.

I tried installing it right away into the gateway. But it kept on telling me that "device driver did not sucessfully install". I couldn't look up updates for the drivers because I have no internet. So after calling customer support I was able to locate the driver files I need on another computer and put it onto a flash drive. I go to plug in the flash drive into the gateway and it refuses to recognize it. I can see it on the task bar, but it won't open the files. It just says "safely eject storage device" or something along those lines. When I open up the device manager it says under "other devices" "unknown device".

So how do I access the drivers I need without the internet and without putting it on a flash drive?? Or how do I get the computer to at least let me access the flashdrive so I can then install the drivers I need for the adapter and then update whatever other drivers I need once I have internet?? Or is there another way? I'm really confused. I'm not the most tech savvy guy and pretty much just learned a little about drivers tonight. I have no idea what I'm doing lol. I just want internet on the computer. That's it.

Also the customer support guy said that it should work with the operating system and the compuer I have. It's windows 7, 64 bit. The model number for the usb adapter is F5D7050, it's a belkin  wireless g usb network adapter. Please help me haha.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:58 PM

There should be a FCC ID number on the USB dongle. Can you post that. This will determine which driver to use.

#3 Samnotsowise

Samnotsowise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:05 PM

FCC ID number: RAXWN4501H

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:08 AM

According to this support page the driver you need is 

4xxx Driver

version 1.0.0.13 

http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/f5d7050v4133_setup.exe

Is this the driver you downloaded? Have you tried another flash drive or different USB port on the computer? If you have then witth the flash drive attached open Disk Management. What is listed for the flash drive? What is the model number of the gateway?

#5 Samnotsowise

Samnotsowise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:16 AM

JohnC_21, Thank you for helping out.

Yes, this is the driver I downloaded and put onto the flash drive. I tried plugging my external hardrive into the gateway to see if it would recognize that and same thing. It would pop up on the task bar with a checkmark next to it but I couldn't open it or even find it when I went to computer. I tried another port as well, nothing. I also tried disabling and enabling the USB controllers in device manager and nothing.

When I open Disk Management with the flash drive in, it says on the bottom half of pop up:

Disk 1

Removable

7.21 GB

When I go to the properties and try and update the drivers for the device it says that I already have the most updated driver.

The model number of the gateway is SX2855.

-Sam

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:40 AM

Do you see any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? If you do right click the device, select properties and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line for each device with a yellow exclamation mark.

Edit: Looking at the supprot site I noticed there was a driver for USB3.0. Does your computer have USB ports that are colored blue?

Download this driver. Reboot the computer and attach the USB external or flash drive to a Blue USB port and see if it is detected.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 December 2015 - 09:45 AM.

#7 Samnotsowise

Samnotsowise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:25 PM

There are no yellow exclamation points in device manager unless I plug in something to the usb drive. Once I plug something in, another section called "other devices" pops up in device manager and underneath that it says unkown device (with yellow exclamation point). 

Also, I looked and am not seeing any USB ports colored blue.

Do you want me to post the hardware ID for the USB plugin under other devices? And if so what should I plug in to the USB?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

Yes, go ahead and do that. Maybe that will give a clue as to the problem. Have you just had this problem recently. Doing a System Restore may solve the problem if it only happened recently.

Edit: Most but not all USB 3.0 ports are blue. I will check the specs again on the computer.

Edit Edit: Even though gateway provides a USB 3 driver on the support site, according to the specs here all USB ports are USB 2.0. Two in the front and 4 in the back. Have you tried any of the back ports.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 December 2015 - 02:04 PM.

#9 Samnotsowise

Samnotsowise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:09 PM

Okay, so when I plug in just a normal flash drive the hardware id just says: Storage/Volume

Same with the external.

When I plug in the actual usb wireless adapter the hardware id says: USB\VID_050D&PID_705C&REV_4810

USB\VID_050D&PID_705C

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:25 PM

That corresponds to your USB wireless dongle but unfortunately if we cannot get the computer to recognize the USB ports for the flash drive then the only way to do it is by burning the driver to a CD disk on another computer and then copying it from the CD to your desktop.

See my edited post. Can you do a System Restore? Have you tried all the back ports when attaching the USB flash drive?  The computer seems to detect the USB dongle but for some reason refuses to detect a USB flash drive or external drive. 

To verify if it is a hardware issue we can boot a small linux distro. If it picks up the USB flash drive it would be an issue with the Windows install. Let me know and I will provide instructions on creating a bootable CD or USB flash drive of linux. 

Edit:From Post #5, does disk management give the USB flash drive a letter? If not assign a letter to the USB flash drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 December 2015 - 02:39 PM.

#11 Samnotsowise

Samnotsowise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:11 PM

Okay so it's really strange. I tried to assign a letter to it, but it's not listed in the actual top part of the pop up in disk management. In the lower end it's listed as disk 3, when I try and right click and change driver letter and paths a window pops up that says: this operation failed because disk management view console is out of date" and to restart disk management or computer. I tried to restart, but still the same problem.

Also when I go to device manager. I can see the flash drive listed in the disk drives section and can opent the properties and everything, but still can't access the file. It's weird because in device manager it's listed in the disk drive section and also on device manager I can see it under the section "other devices".

I'm not sure if I can do a system restore or not. This computer was used at a business that is now out of business and I don't know if they made back up files or anything and don't know how to check. I've never done a system restore before. And yeah, I tried all the ports. So the USB seems to detect everything I put in it, but just refuses to let me access the files in it. Even when I find the device in disk drives under device manager and go to properties it says that the device is working properly and that my driver is up to date. And then I go down to "other devices" and open up the properties and it says the opposite. When I unplug the USB they both disappear, so they're the same thing.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:48 PM

When you get the yellow exclamation mark in Device Manager with the USB flash drive attached. Right click the Device and select Update Driver. Does that work?

#13 Samnotsowise

Samnotsowise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:00 PM

Okay, in device manager under other devices there's an unkown device with a yellow exclamation mark. When I try to update that driver it says that Windows was unable to find a driver for your device. When I go up to disk drives, I can see the store n go with no exclamation mark and when I click to update driver it says that the driver is already up to date.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:10 PM

This is my last idea. Open Device Manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section. Right click each USB Root Hub and select uninstall. Once all have been uninstalled reboot the computer and Windows will reinstall your USB root hubs. After your computer has rebooted see if attaching the USB flash drive is successful.

See solution 8 here.

http://support.hp.com/ro-en/document/c01893385

#15 Samnotsowise

Samnotsowise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:38 PM

yeah, that didn't work either. And I tried a few other things as well. sfc /scannow in command prompt and disk and ran a disk check. Neither worked. I'm sick of this bull. I'm just going to call somebody to fix it for me. found a guy who does $64 flat fee no matter how long it takes. I'm sure he'll fix it in like 3 seconds but i'm okay with that. It'll be worth it. If I can get him to explain it to me and I understand it, I'll post the solution. Thanks for trying to help anyways JohnC!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users