Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modem Problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:20 PM

I've only been having this problem very recently with my modem. It's a Speed strem 5200 ADSL modem made by efficient networks. It usualy gets warm but it's getting pretty hot lately, it seems to be 40-45C ( that's jsut an estimate by my sense of touch) I turned it off for 5 minutes and let it cool because it was only downloading at 5KBs/sec, then I boot it bakc up along with my computer and it worked fine for 5 minutes, then it does the same thing. It's not in a hot enviroment ( Canada ), and my house is air conditioned around 68F and the modems on the floor away from sunlight and any heat radiating machines.

Any advice would be greatly aprieciated.

Edited by protozero, 24 July 2006 - 07:21 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:16 AM

Have you tried pouring water on it? Hehehe Just Kidding. Are you able to fit a passive cooling device to it? Even though it is plastic (I assume), those heatsinks you can buy for Northbridges (?) etc (if you get a few) might do the trick. In theory it will still be dissipating the heat....?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 11:21 AM

Yeah, I was using a ice pack last night, it did the trick. :D I was thinking of a small fan I could possible mount into it. ( I'd have to rip the top off, but I wouldn't mine and I'd jsut shove it under the bed out of sight. ) I was just hoping if you could buy a small fan that would runn off the power in the wall?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:29 PM

My advice would be to get it off of the floor. It's a dirt magnent down there (your entire computer tower) and dust and dirt will hinder the cooling ability of the tower which will affect everything inside of it.

When moving it, you should take a can of air (bought from most computer stores like staples, or even at walmart etc.) and blow out the inside of your case, paying special attention all the cooling fans in it. While you have the side of the case off (to blow it out), before you put the side back on, make sure that all the fans are working.

If cooling is still an issue with the modem, you could always buy a hurricane (hurricane type fan) and install it just below or above the modem. It installs right above/below the modem (or any card, assuming there's room) and will suck out the warm air that is next to the modem which should help to keep it cooler. I've seen an old machine with a hurricane fan on either side (well, 1 on top and 1 on bottom) to keep a vga card cool. I wouldn't go that far....well, maybe I would just because the hurricane fans are fairly cheap. You can get them from newegg.com, tigerdirect, or even Ebay.

Hope this helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:56 AM

Modem's on the floor, connected via Ethernet 3 feet away. Computer stays nice and warm. Modem's a firecracker. And I know not to put my computer on the floor. It's on my table with plenty of room all around it to ventilate.

Edited by protozero, 26 July 2006 - 12:57 AM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:29 AM

Sounds like a defective modem.

#7 protozero

protozero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:03 AM

Well it seems okay for now. But was annoying me for a few days. Wouldn't be cool if it was defective, the last one they gave me ( A big 5260 Speed stream ) decided not to start up at all and I had to send it to my ISP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users