Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

0mb free on start-up regardless of what I've deleted pre-reboot, + Misc. Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 leolei

leolei

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:48 PM

Hello! I've been having these issues for at least a few months now and tried several methods to fix it, but nothing has helped so far. I am running Windows 7.

I have three main problems that may possibly be related, so I am detailing all three:

1. Whenever I reboot, Windows creates a paging file (usually of about 100mb-200mb) and I have no space left on my C: drive. Therefore I can barely run any programs before they start shutting down (such as Malwarebytes). Even when I delete large files or folders (1gb, etc.), the next time I reboot, I still have no space on my computer.

2. My screen is black and apparently "Build 7601 / This copy of Windows is not genuine". Some tips I found online helped fix it temporarily, but this screen almost always comes back after several reboots.

3. Windows Update has caused my computer to go blue screen of death in the past, and constantly has trouble downloading updates now. I've turned off automatic updates but I'm not sure which update has been causing all the problems since it's been a while since this was an issue.

Thanks so much everyone! Please me know if I can help out with any additional information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nuna

nuna

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:47 AM

#1:
To temporarily gain some space, you can adjust the reserved space for restore points:

• Start menu → righ-click on Computer → Properties
  • Advanced system settings (on the left column)
  • System Protection → Configure... → adjust the Max Usage slider and apply the changes.

You can run different programs to see what's taking the space, for instance WinDirStat can help you with that.
File-system corruption can cause the system reporting wrong sizes. To solve it you can check the disk for errors (a check will be scheduled and run after a reboot):

• Start menu → Computer
  • right-click on the affected partition (usually C:\) → Properties
  • Tools tab → Check now... → Start

One thing to consider is to remove files you don't need or move files to an external drive. Another option is to resize partitions (if more than one are present and there's enough free space on them).

#2: If it still happens after running checkdisk you can try to activate Windows using its license (see the sticker under the laptop, or at the side panels of the desktop computer).
If it does not work, you can check if system files are missing running sfc /scannow command from an elevated command prompt.

#3: Blue Screen after windows update often happens after a driver update. To disable drivers being updated through Windows Update you can follow this guide (it's for Windows 8 but the steps are the same).

Edited by nuna, 08 December 2015 - 02:30 PM.

#3 GoFigure

GoFigure

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:21 PM

What tips were you given to fix your windows is not genuine problem?  I have to ask this since most of the 'tips' involve running an illegal patch to generate an illegal copy of windows, which is why it keeps reverting back to being not genuine.

If you are running an illegal copy then I can't help you.

#4 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 12:12 PM

What tips were you given to fix your windows is not genuine problem?  I have to ask this since most of the 'tips' involve running an illegal patch to generate an illegal copy of windows, which is why it keeps reverting back to being not genuine.

If you are running an illegal copy then I can't help you.

And neither can anyone else, IIRC.  I remember admins saying in the past we cannot support non-genuine copies of Windows here.  

#5 leolei

leolei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 07:44 PM

An update - work has been crazy these past few days so I was unable to check this board, but I finally got a spare moment tonight to go through all the help here. I was just able to verify Windows with my original product key (I had no idea I could use the original as the error kept saying it was not verified and I needed to try another one) and my computer also started reporting the sizes of my drive correctly after going through the steps nuna laid out. Everything is now working as it was a few months ago (I can't believe it took so long to fix this when it was so simple, in the end).

Thanks so much for the help, everyone! Have a great one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users