Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this possible?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 7YL3R

7YL3R

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:59 PM

So I'm not the most experienced with computer hardware but I have a bit of an issue. Awhile back my inverter - or so I suspect- quit working on my old Dell latitude D610. I've since used an external monitor instead. My question is this, can I tear off the screen and just have the bottom keyboard part and if so can anyone maybe help me out. Obviously I would still have it connected to the external monitor but I recently downsized apartments and got rid of my desk. So i figured if i could remove the screen and save some room that i could find a place to set it up. I don't want to replace the inverter because i much rather get a new laptop but with just moving its not exactly in budget right now. Thanks for any replies...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:49 AM

. . . my inverter . . .  quit working . . . latitude D610 . . . used an external monitor . . . can I tear off the screen . . . have the bottom keyboard . . . connected to the external monitor . . .

7YL3R,

Yes, the bottom part, with the keyboard, mother board, HDD, etc. will function without the screen attached.  However, you do so at your own risk.

Warning!

The system will no longer meet UL or CSA electrical standards.

The antenna for the radio is in the top cover, as well.  So you may have to forgo that feature.  Or you can open up the screen, and remove the antenna.  You can hang it up some way, and it will still work.  It may not look pretty, but it will work.

Here is the link to the Dell service manual.  It will tell you how to remove the screen and the antenna without doing any further damage to the unit.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_latitude_laptop/latitude-d610_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Cheers!

Naught

#3 7YL3R

7YL3R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:55 AM

Thank you. I'd had a feeling there would be more to it than just taking the screen off. Thanks again for your response and the link.

Take care

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users