Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ISSUE WITH ASUS PC POSSIBLEY WINDOWS 10

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ohspecial1

ohspecial1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:02 PM

Hi i have a question is a customers pc

I believe has done a windows 10 upgrade somewhen

But now has an issue and cannot get passed the asus logo

1- I cannot get into safe mode as windows needs to load first not

2- Windows 8 has licence keys on bios or hard drive

3 using my keyfinder system i cannot find any licence

4- UNSURE IF WINDOWS 10 UPGRADE EVEN GIVES A LICENCE

5- I cannot find much about this drive in another pc doesnt seem to be any users seems very odd

Can anyone advise

I think the best is to format in another machine

only issue is that if windows 8 key is on the drive i will have to pay for a new key

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:14 PM

If the ASUS came preinstalled with Windows 8 you will not have to pay for a new key. The key is embedded in the UEFI firmware and can be obtained using Produkey or FirmwareTablesView. You can match the key in FirmwareTablesView to Produkey to verify. Look under the MSDM table for the key. If the computer was updated to a Pro version from Home then the key in Firmware will only be good for Home.

FirmwareTablesView.png

You can download Windows 8.1 here. It will not have the required Ethernet or Wireless drivers. Those will need to be downloaded and stored on a USB flash drive for later install. Once on the internet the OS will self-activate.

You can try resetting Windows 10 following the procedure in this post. You should backup any data if doing a reset. You can do this by removing the drive and attaching to another computer or use a linux live disk to pull the data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users