Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Disconnect from Remote Connection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nbarr7655

nbarr7655

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hello all. I have an end user who is having some trouble and I myself am a little stumped as well. When the user tries to remote into another user she can do it just fine. It's leaving the connection that becomes the problem.

The method that she uses to connect is through Task Manager > Users Tab > Right click user > Remote Control

Her hot keys are set to ctrl + Tab. On most users she can disconnect from the session just fine. However on some users when she hits the key combo nothing happens. No error messages, nothing. It just stays there. The only fix she has found thus far is to have someone else log into the server she is on, and disconnect her that way. She is running in Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Batzz

Batzz

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:25 PM

Hi Nbarr, This is Batzz here. Have you attempted to reopen task manager and kill the connection task, that should end the issue. If this does not work come back to me and I will attempt to find a bypass method.

#3 nbarr7655

nbarr7655
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

Hi Nbarr, This is Batzz here. Have you attempted to reopen task manager and kill the connection task, that should end the issue. If this does not work come back to me and I will attempt to find a bypass method.

I did think of this as a possible "fix" but was unsure what the connection task actually is. Do you know what it is listed as?

#4 Batzz

Batzz

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:44 AM

I do not, however give me a  few hours and ill create a custom loop connection between my two pc's to grab the file name.

#5 nbarr7655

nbarr7655
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:08 AM

I connected to a different PC and couldn't manage to find the process.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,960 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:53 AM

Hi,

Try this Open the Task Manager, click on the Users tab, right click on the user you want to end the session, a Log Off option should be available.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#7 nbarr7655

nbarr7655
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:26 AM

Hi,

Try this Open the Task Manager, click on the Users tab, right click on the user you want to end the session, a Log Off option should be available.

Will clicking the "Log off" option only log off the person that is remoted into the user, or both the person remoted in and the user themselves?

Edit: To answer my question, yes it will log both people off. I need the user to be able to stay logged in and only have the remoted user leave.

Edited by nbarr7655, 11 December 2015 - 08:32 AM.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:07 PM

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/321705

#9 nbarr7655

nbarr7655
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

That may actually work. Now, to make this a little more end user friendly. Would anyone be able to help me out writing something like a batch file that the user can run that will simply ask for the session ID that they would like to disconnect?

Never mind I got one. :)

Edited by nbarr7655, 21 December 2015 - 09:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users