Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can infection(s) travel from hard drive 1 to hard drive 2 ??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pinkn0rangegal

pinkn0rangegal

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:34 PM

We're building a new PC with a brand new (therefore, empty) hard drive--a solid state hard drive.  We're considering including my old hard drive (for, obviously, 2 drives) [It's not a solid state drive].

My question ...  if my old hard drive is infected, can the virus travel from it to the new hard drive?  (I don't know for a fact that the old one is infected...I did various scans and they had nothing to report.  I just don't know, though, if there could be something lingering; and if so, if it would enter the new hard drive.

Alright, I look forward to replies.  Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:04 PM

If you slave your old hard drive to the new SSD drive so that it appears in Explore when you boot the SSD with your operating system, the only way that a virus could infect your new drive is if:

1.)  the virus is designed to execute if it detects a vulnerable alternate drive, the same as if you insert a USB thumb drive with a virus on it,

2.)  you access the slaved drive and execute the file that contains the virus.

I suggest that you might want to post in the Malware section of this website and have one of the staff there run checks on your old drive.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 GoFigure

GoFigure

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:30 PM

Since you are using your old hard drive as the second drive it should be formated (after saving any  files to an external device) or wiped.  Once you have done that your chances of getting an infection off it are nil.  I would recommend wiping it with Darik's Boot and Nuke (www.dban.org).  Just download it, write it to a cd, then boot your system and let it wipe your old drive before installing the new drive.

#4 pinkn0rangegal

pinkn0rangegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:26 PM

Okay, thanks for your help you two!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users