Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Managing Data On Hard Drives - Recomendations Please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dan F

Dan F

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:37 PM

I have been running my small production company for about a year and half now.
Within this time I deciced to focus on corporate and non profit organizations. The major problem that I have with these projects is hard drive space. Unlike most wedding businesses where when your done editing you delete the files, for most part I have to hold on to all the datas of a project in order to use it for years to come in making their future videos and making the job easier but space is a problem.
till now I offered my client to provide me with an external HD where I create the project from beg to ending on it. I dont feel it efficient. and extra $250 for the client. past that issue I dont feel safe about any external HDs, every tme I turn one on, I'm affraid of it crashing etc since 2 have gone bad on me.
What do u guys suggest and what do u do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:01 PM

What exactly are/were you doing on their hard drives?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 Dan F

Dan F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:00 PM

I basically edit the project (in video all the assests usually are bette to be from a single hard drive if you will use them later).
after done editing I keep the hard drive and built the companie's next project on top of the one before from the HD.
however these externals are not safe at all.

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:14 AM

Well I take it you are dealing with large file sizes, so I am guessing an on line approach is out of the question.
Do they need to keep a copy of their 'project'? If not, you could set yourself up witha RAID 5 server and store it all yourself, then when they come back for editing, you have it ready to go...?
Is the file size small enough to fit on DVD? They are pretty reliable (DVDR, not RW).
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 Dan F

Dan F
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:10 AM

no way,
in average a project with all the special fx and everything is about 100 gig

i was thinking of getting one of those "stuff" :thumbsup: that are like an enclosure but fit 5 HDs.
my concern is the life span of these HDs
a Segate external drive failed on me last week with about 10,000 worth of songs and animation I had collected over year and no back up either :flowers:

the drive was brand new copied from an older non working drive.
with these external HDs you never know what you get and what is the life span. The internalas are much much better though so another option is to built a computer and load it with Hds and just back up each project on it I guess.
its getting kinda complicated.

#6 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 06:25 AM

Well I guess if you set up a RAID Array (man, I can't rally explain RAID, so best if you look it up), with a second set for incremental backups (redundancy), then in theory you would lose no data. The life span of a decent hard drive is supposed to be around teh 1.5 million hours mark....
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users