Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hunted by hobos

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Horst666

Horst666

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:35 PM

On most of the websites i visit nowadays i am confronted with stupid nagscreens/disclaimers that i have to confirm via mouseclick. Almost every German site forces you to confirm that they are using cookies. These soulless data miners try to simulate privacy (and the educated users feel the spit on their faces). Also there are a lot of hobos that try to make an undignified living through beggary like Wikipedia or some (so called) news-sites. Technically this is realized by different techniques, or in other words its not so easy to block.

Isnt there a plugin that can save me this unwanted mouseclick and the embarassment of reading this bs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:54 PM

Horst666,

That is a hard question to answer because every site is different. Also, I assume the reason you have to click a button before you get to the site is because of EU data privacy laws.

Edited by packetanalyzer, 07 December 2015 - 01:56 PM.

#3 Horst666

Horst666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:18 PM

Horst666,

That is a hard question to answer because every site is different. Also, I assume the reason you have to click a button before you get to the site is because of EU data privacy laws.

Thats what i wrote ;-)

The only universal solution would be something like an adblocker with a unique ruleset for every site. Writing such a software would be much more demanding than to do this one mouseclick so i am looking for a ready to use plugin instead.

#4 packetanalyzer

packetanalyzer

• Members
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:22 PM

My point is even if you had a plugin that would click a button for you, you would likely need to know the button name in the web page source code, but there is no guarantee that every site would have the same name for the button.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:27 PM

To the best of my understanding, web-sites operating in the EU are required to get the permission of the visitor/user before they can collect any data on them, hence these 'nag-screens'. This authorisation is not required for purely technical cookies that enable a web-site to work.

Some sites, like that of the BBC, state that continuing to use the site implies acceptance but others you must click the 'I accept' or equivalent button. You have only two choices - accept the use of cookies or not use the web-site. since this notification is a legal requirement I don't think you will find any way around it. I suspect that your idea of some sort of 'Ad-blocker' would merely prevent you being able to use these web-sites at all.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users