Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

how to correctly diagnose a dead, dropped laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 berbes

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:34 PM

the client dropped her HP Pavilion while it was on, and now the screen just shows it's on, with nothing else.  i've taken out the battery, HD and memory, with the only beeping i get from the empty memory (three regular beeps, two short beeps, looping).  when i reinstall the memory and leave out the HD, then it's nothing but the screen on again.  no beeps.

also no bios choices, it goes straight to the on screen.

i swapped out the HD, but nothing different.

i shake the unit, and i hear a small rattle, so, i'll be opening things up a bit more to find out what that might be.

any other ideas?  thanks!!

Edited by berbes, 07 December 2015 - 01:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,747 posts
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:23 PM

Try using a LIVE Linux DVD/ CD or flash drive. If everything works as should....video...audio...able to reach internet..etc. then all you have left to

test is the HDD. If it is a disk drive then it is likely damaged.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,646 posts
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:44 PM

Stripping the unit to the bare minimum is the starting point.  The fact you get beeps without memory indicates the MOBO/CPU are intact.  The on-board video GPU should load first before the CPU screen and memory count.  With some display, then it appears intact too, so the boot device needs selected and that rattle investigated.

#4 berbes

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:49 PM

hello.  just to 'put a bow' on this thread, i tried to hook up a hdmi cable, but still no image, so, i'm thinking the graphic chip bit it.  as fate would have it, i actually found the EXACT SAME laptop (down to the very last four numbers) on ebay needing a hard drive and a cable...15 miles from home!

met the guy, stuck the client's existing hd in, waited 20 minutes for some hp 'file fixing', and voila...a functioning laptop.

thanks for the great help and MERRY CHRISTMAS, folks!

Edited by berbes, 08 December 2015 - 08:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users