Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected with CryptoWall 4.0 while downloading Ammyy admin!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 doc87

doc87

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:51 PM

Hi guys

Introduction

I had to download ammyy for remote assistance regarding my finance issues and while downloading I was getting many warnings from my antivirus(Symantec). I had to run ammyy as the support guys insisted they have that only. So i ignored the warnings as I thought it must be false positive as ammyy is used by many people and i was downloading from the official site.

The Problem

The real program began after running the ammyy program and i saw some help me recover html file being launched in my browser and an image and notepad file containing the same info being started at same time. I scanned the downloaded ammyy setup file(executable) via virustotal and was surprised to see many antivirus programs blacklisting it.

After searching Google a lot, my worst fears came true. I got to know this is a ransomware and as described online the help recover files asked me to pay for recovery. And, I saw the files on my desktop have become encrypted with some random names and random file extensions except for pictures.

My Tries at fixing

I tried fixing the problem by reading the online forums and found some here also. But I wasnt successful. 

1. I scanned using Norton Internet security but it didnt detect anything.( I had excluded the virus from scans at the time of running as I thought it to be false positive). Even though I checked the settings to remove any exclusions but I didnt find any.

2. I scanned using Malwarebytes AntiMalware free version and it found the infection in the file which I had downloaded and removed it. It asked me to restart my pc to finish completing the removal process but on restart the help me recover messages again popped up.

3.I ran the Hitman Pro software and it didnt detect anything besides tracing cookies.

4.I ran the TrendMicro AntiRansomware 2.0 tool and it found infection in some legitimate programs in the "C" directory where my windows is installed. I selected the clean option and it asked me to reboot my pc to finish the removal process.However, it also didnt fix the problem.

5. I created the TrendMicro Antiransomware USB 3.0 utility on my pendrive and booted my pc with it but it was stuck  on text reading "Nightsaber 3.1 ..." and didnt proceed even after waiting for an hour or so.

6. I flashed the HitmanPro.Kickstart USB flash drive but it was giving an error on selecting the option 1 saying "failed to read MBR"

on selecting option 2 the screen got stuck at "mbr read starting bootcode..."

Finally I had to give up as I think this is the last hope for me else I will have to format my pc :(

I would be grateful to you if you could help me soon as I read somewhere that ransomware increases its menace with time.

doc87

Edited by doc87, 07 December 2015 - 12:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:32 PM

There are several variants of Cryptowall. CryptoWall 4.0 leaves ransom notes named HELP_YOUR_FILES.TXT, HELP_YOUR_FILES.HTML and HELP_YOUR_FILES.PNG and will encrypt the actual filename of an encrypted file as well as the data contained in it. Each encrypted file will have a unique name with random characters (0ausbffwh.p5, 72lcvn.iv6nn, x83o8x.ux7, etc). CryptoWall 4.0 uses a .JS file to download and execute a file from the %temp% folder. The initial installer injects the program that actually encrypts data into explorer.exe/svchost.exe.

A repository of all current knowledge regarding CryptoWall, CryptoWall 2.0, CryptoWall 3.0 & CryptoWall 4.0 is provided by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), in this topic: CryptoWall and DECRYPT_INSTRUCTION Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

More information in this BC news article...Cryptowall typically deletes (though not always) all Shadow Volume Copies with vssadmin.exe so that you cannot restore your files via System Restore, native Windows Previous Versions or using a program like Shadow Explorer...but it never hurts to try in case the infection did not do what it was supposed to do. Another possible option is to try file recovery software such as R-Studio or Photorec to recover some of your original files but there is no guarantee that will work.

Unfortunately at this time there is no fix tool and decryption of CryptoWall files...is impossible since there is no way to retrieve the private key that can be used to decrypt your files without paying the ransom. For a more detailed explanation, read this reply by Nathan (DecrypterFixer). The only other alternative is to save your data as is and wait for a possible breakthrough...meaning, what seems like an impossibility at the moment (decryption of your data), there is always hope someday there may be a possible solution so save the encrypted data and wait until that time.

There is an ongoing discussion in this topic where you can ask questions and seek further assistance.Rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any questions, comments or requests for assistance in that topic discussion. Doing that will also ensure you receive proper assistance from our crypto malware experts since they may not see this thread. To avoid unnecessary confusion...this topic is closed.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users