Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does HitmanPro.Alert's Anti-Keylogging feature protect against Windows Cortana?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:54 AM

Hi all!

I just built myself a new workstation computer with MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, and have installed EAM paid, WinPatrol PLUS and HMP.A with CryptoGuard as my security setup.

I have read a lot about Windows Cortana over at the Windows 10 Discussion Forum, and am therefore wondering;

Does HitmanPro.Alert's Anti-Keylogging feature protect against Windows Cortana, or do I just turn it off with one or several of the Privacy Tools recommended by Bleeping Computer?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 08 December 2015 - 07:46 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:04 AM

Turning off the Cortana Service via Cortana Settings, going to Speech, Inking, & Typing Settings and making sure that "Get to know me" is off, stops the collection of anything that most people would consider personal information.

You should also make a quick trip through every one of the Privacy settings that shows up along the left in the same pane that the Speech, Inking, & Typing settings do.

If you never turned Cortana on the "Get to know me" setting is likely off.  If Cortana was ever on, you can follow the link to remove any information "she" has stored on you in the cloud.

If you want a Windows Search that acts pretty much like Windows Search always has then turn off the "Include internet search results" feature in Cortana settings, too.

There's not much to "protect against" as far as Cortana goes if you simply have the service turned off and internet search results not included.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:50 AM

Hi, britechguy!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

I was under the impression that Windows Cortana was turned on by default, and I was quite right; however I have now turned "her" off as per your instructions.

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 08 December 2015 - 07:52 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users