Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:57 AM

Microsoft has been preparing Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs for a more aggressive Windows 10 upgrade strategy that the company will kick off shortly, according to the developer of a tool that blocks such upgrades.

"Over Thanksgiving weekend I started getting reports that the Windows Update 'AllowOSUpgrade' setting was getting flipped back on on a number of peoples' PCs, and it keeps re-setting itself at least once a day if they switch it back off," said Josh Mayfield, the software engineer who created GWX Control Panel. The tool was originally designed to make the "Get Windows 10" (hence GWX) applet go away after Microsoft installed it on consumer and small business Windows 7 and 8.1 PCs starting in March, then activated in June.

Article   From ComputerWorld

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 December 2015 - 08:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:03 AM

So then in effect it's best to just turn Windows Update off.  The promised protection to 2020/23 is at the real cost of fighting the nagware, plus several times an hour the settings will attempt to change, anyway.  No thank you.

Every time I think I've found the bottom of this Win10 debacle, a new bottom is created.  It's not going to get better.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,819 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:06 AM

So then in effect it's best to just turn Windows Update off.  The promised protection to 2020/23 is at the real cost of fighting the nagware

If fighting nagware is of a higher priority than keeping a system that's as stable and secure as it can be then, by all means, be my guest.

It is, in any informed opinion, abjectly stupid to "just turn Windows Update off."  Talk about the path to destruction!

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:16 AM

I would not turn updates off but I would consider enabling the option Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them. I have used this option for years because I always wait a week to see if there was a problem with certain updates and there were quite a few.

Edit: I am pretty sure the updated GWX control panel takes care of the issue as it now has a monitoring function.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 December 2015 - 10:18 AM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,819 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:46 AM

I would not turn updates off but I would consider enabling the option Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them. I have used this option for years because I always wait a week to see if there was a problem with certain updates and there were quite a few.

Edit: I am pretty sure the updated GWX control panel takes care of the issue as it now has a monitoring function.

The article definitely states that the latest addition to GWX Control Panel is the active monitoring function.  In fact, they show a screen shot with the notification for a "new resetting of preferences" showing from it.

For anyone who is interested in "tending their system," and there are many, I suggest precisely the approach you mention on Win7.  You just have to be sure that the person is interested in taking on that role and taking the time to learn how to evaluate updates.   If they're not interested in that task then automatic updates with "recommended as well as critical" turned off is the way to go.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:42 PM

Its a pity people who have no idea on how to set their PC to ask to update will be forced into a OS upgrade, I get the feeling MS is trying to kill off Win 7 and 8 long before end of life for both OS.

#7 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:42 PM

It is, in any informed opinion, abjectly stupid to "just turn Windows Update off."  Talk about the path to destruction!

A lot of people,including me ,many techs and some of the moderators and advisers on this site turn updates off,so we can go to the site and run it from there.

Its a pity people who have no idea on how to set their PC to ask to update will be forced into a OS upgrade, I get the feeling MS is trying to kill off Win 7 and 8 long before end of life for both OS.

Yes rather shaby,opportunistic,dont care about our customers preferences at all stance fron MSFT.Its always been a bit funny the tension between them and their

users,but they just dont seem at all bothered by user preferences or convenience at all now.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 6,819 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:00 PM

A lot of people,including me ,many techs and some of the moderators and advisers on this site turn updates off,so we can go to the site and run it from there.

And most of us posting here are not representative of "the average joe."   Telling a random end user to turn off updates (and I clearly framed the context) is just plain stupid.  They will end up in an immense conflagration, and the vast majority of Windows Updates are aimed at preventing that occurring as much as is possible.

Yes rather shaby,opportunistic,dont care about our customers preferences at all stance fron MSFT.Its always been a bit funny the tension between them and their

users,but they just dont seem at all bothered by user preferences or convenience at all now.

No company wants to be maintaining legacy systems any more than they absolutely have to.  I'm not wild about Microsoft's approach, but it's mostly IT professionals and tech geeks who are complaining the loudest and longest about how the Win10 rollout process is occurring.  I've voiced my complaints, too.  However, I will state that I think it's ridiculous to say that Microsoft isn't at all concerned about user preferences or convenience.  Most of the changes in Windows 10 policies are aimed at the very convenience and security of the vast majority of "common end users."   Cortana, which isn't about security, is all about convenience and is a direct response to the success of Siri.

Microsoft is not without flaws, and there's plenty for anyone to complain about (and room for others to support or question those complaints), but Microsoft is absolutely balancing what the market wants and what it needs to make it happen and to continue making it happen.

~ Lauren Bacall

#9 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:36 PM

I think it's ridiculous to say that Microsoft isn't at all concerned about user preferences or convenience.

Yes your right they are lovely warm little munchkins,i am being judgemental and uncharitable.

Actually,im wrong there user preference has been declining steeply since xp,you sound like a MSFT fan,im not interested in bashing them,i use their os because its convenient and i cant easily run some apps on linux,but really their a big corporation and their running it for them...period...its like goverments,institutions...if you think their running em for you...nope...they dont care how your doin...at all.period.

Try complaining about,they just hosed your apps or hard drive with their updates (forced) see how bothered they are.

Microsoft is absolutely balancing what the market wants and what it needs to make it happen and to continue making it happen.

Er..well im not sure thats so for a lot of people using pc,s...many have gone back to 8 in despair or have or are thinking about moving to Linux or Osx.

What will the win 10 market share really be,once all the free upgrades are over?

Edited by Wolverine 7, 07 December 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#10 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:54 PM

Parallel article in betanews just published, here.

As for turning updates OFF, all that means is I do it manually, I have control over what updates to even look up and download.  I don't trust their notify option anymore.  They have proven time and again to disregard the user, so now I disregard them.

I've advised my clients to do the same.  They hate having to do it by hand, but the ones who've not done so got hosed or nearly hosed by the Win10 update.  Took only a couple of days to recover because they backed up, but that's still a couple of days lost.  Multiply that by millions of people who unfortunately had their updates on automatic, and that adds up to many lost LIFETIMES.

It's unconscionable.  And after six whopping months of glitches and complaints by millions of people, MSFT still doesn't listen?

Edited by brainout, 07 December 2015 - 04:57 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,706 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:05 PM

Perhaps what everyone could reasonably agree on is.........Microsoft and the word Trust........is a contradiction in terms.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#12 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:05 PM

I love Windows 10. I hate how Microsoft is pushing it on folks who have no business upgrading. The very folks who don't know how to avoid the upgrade are the ones least able to deal with small or large glitches.

Yes, Microsoft doesn't want to deal with legacy systems. I get that. But, when i bought my computers, I was assured that I would have support for Win 7 until 2020, and I never expected folks to have to fight to keep the lease they signed.

I have no dog in this fight. I've happily upgraded to Win 10, but I feel for the crap others have to go through. It's just not right.

#13 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:07 PM

As for turning updates OFF, all that means is I do it manually, I have control over what updates to even look up and download.  I don't trust their notify option anymore.  They have proven time and again to disregard the user, so now I disregard them.

Ditto

It's unconscionable.  And after six whopping months of glitches and complaints by millions of people, MSFT still doesn't listen?

Big corporation,running for it them,not us.Are,nt they all,but some manage to keep a veneer of customer care,their seems to be a fairly large,"bury your head in the sand"contingent among some Windows users.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 08 December 2015 - 09:49 AM.

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,706 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:11 PM

AS i said many, many topics ago, (many closed topics included in that !!).....it is all about

$     ....nothing more, nothing less.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

#15 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:13 PM

I have no dog in this fight. I've happily upgraded to Win 10, but I feel for the crap others have to go through. It's just not right.

Agree,its not right,i have no axe to grind,but their behavior is bordering on unethical...post on a site i viewed yesteday,a guy said he was taking MSFT to the small claims court for damage to his os...he seemed to have a point.They cant be doing themselves any good with all this in the long term.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 08 December 2015 - 09:50 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users