Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card works in one PC, not in another

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 jugglingman456

jugglingman456

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

Hello,

First post, found this place through trying to troubleshoot my issue. It's very similar to this post:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522828/gpu-wont-work-in-my-system-works-in-friends-his-gpu-works-in-my-system-confus/

Relevant parts:

Mobo: Asrock Z97M Pro4
GPU: Sapphire R9 280x
PSU: Corsair CX600
CPU: i5-4670K

My R9 280x works in my roommate's computer, but does not work in mine. The card is not even detected in the BIOS or shows up in Window's device manager. My roommate's 970 and my old r9 270 both worked fine in my PC. The card's fans spin and it does light up.

Here are the things I have tried so far:
  • Removed old video card drivers, amd catalyst couldn't find an amd card to install drivers for
  • Updated motherboard bios
  • Updated motherboard drivers
  • Reseated card several times
  • Made sure that the motherboard graphics output is PCI Express
  • Resetting CMOS
  •  
    The only thing I can think of is something with the power supply. Newegg says 750W is required, but other threads say that 600W should be more than enough for just a single card. However, maybe one of the 4 "add-on" power supply pins is broken. But if that were the case, I wouldn't expect the fans to power on. Really at a loss at this point, just trying to cast as large of a net as possible in hopes that someone can help me out.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
    • 24,846 posts
    •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:05 AM

See this thread. According to the one post you need at least 42 amps on the 12volt rail. Also a 6 and 8 pin power connector are required. The requirement for the R270 is 28 amps so there is a considerable difference. 

#3 jugglingman456

jugglingman456
    • Topic Starter

• Members
    • 12 posts
    •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:30 AM

See this thread. According to the one post you need at least 42 amps on the 12volt rail. Also a 6 and 8 pin power connector are required. The requirement for the R270 is 28 amps so there is a considerable difference. 

Thanks for the response. If I'm reading the specs: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028&cm_re=cx600-_-17-139-028-_-Product

correctly, my PSU outputs 46 amps on the 12volt rail:

+3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@46A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3.0A

My PSU has 2x 6+2 pin connectors.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
    • 24,846 posts
    •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

Then it looks like your PSU should handle the card. I am not sure what to try except making sure your are getting the correct voltage out of the PCIe power connectors. Is it possible your friend could lend you his PSU as a temporary swap?

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
    • 2,520 posts
    •  
    • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:00 AM

Swap psu with your friend temporarily. This will answer the question if the 600 is under powered or having some other issues. Is it a modular psu? Maybe repositioning the 6 pins to a different port, bad short there or something. Always double check all those plugs and the connections. The PSU could be partially blown out.

#6 jugglingman456

jugglingman456
    • Topic Starter

• Members
    • 12 posts
    •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

I will try swapping PSUs tonight and see if that works.

#7 jugglingman456

jugglingman456
    • Topic Starter

• Members
    • 12 posts
    •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:42 PM

I put in a new 750W PSU (CX750M) and the problem still remains. Anyone know what else I could try?

Edited by jugglingman456, 13 December 2015 - 02:55 PM.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
    • 2,520 posts
    •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:44 PM

This may seem like a silly question, but you're plugging in the cable to the card and not the onboard video right? Also, what are you using vga, dvi, hdmi? Have you tried adjusting the bios settings for video? Perhaps you may need to upgrade the bios firmware.

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention, some video cards have a switch or dip switches on the side of them for legacy or eufi bios support. Check the manuals.

Edited by technonymous, 13 December 2015 - 03:48 PM.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
    • 2,520 posts
    •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:51 PM

Try resetting the bios too or check the seating of the video card. Possibly the brackets or something jammed in there is blocking it from getting seated properly. Try a different pcie slot.

#10 jugglingman456

jugglingman456
    • Topic Starter

• Members
    • 12 posts
    •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:58 PM

I've made sure the motherboard bios is set to use a standalone graphics card and not the integrated graphics. I've been plugging into the displayport on the card, but it doesn't really matter as the card doesn't show up in the motherboard bios anyway. I updated the bios last week and reset the CMOS. The latch for the PCIE slot fully clicks so I'm pretty sure it's seated correctly. There is only one other pcie slot but it's only x4, not x16. Also, given the other slot's location, there is no way I can fit the card in there. Too many other obstructions. The card does have a button for switching the bios version, neither setting works.

Edited by jugglingman456, 13 December 2015 - 04:01 PM.

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
    • 2,520 posts
    •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:21 AM

Well im fresh out of idea's. That is very strange it won't work. It sounds like the motherboard just doesn't play well with that type of card. Could be pcie 3.0 and 2.0 differences. but usually cards are compatible. Bummer. If the video card is worth using I would buy a replcement motherboard and junk the Asrock. To tell you the truth im not to fond of Asrock. I been bit by them more than once and swore to never buy another.

Edited by technonymous, 14 December 2015 - 02:21 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
    • 24,846 posts
    •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

I am pretty sure you did this but you used both 6 and 8 pin power connectors on the card, correct? 

#13 jugglingman456

jugglingman456
    • Topic Starter

• Members
    • 12 posts
    •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:37 AM

I am pretty sure you did this but you used both 6 and 8 pin power connectors on the card, correct? 

Yes, there are two 8-pin spots on the card and both are fully plugged in.

#14 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
    • 2,520 posts
    •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:55 PM

If you have anything else in the other pcie slots I would try just the one R9 card. You never know there might be something funky going on here. Pull out cards from the 1x slot too.

Edited by technonymous, 15 December 2015 - 02:57 PM.

#15 jugglingman456

jugglingman456
    • Topic Starter

• Members
    • 12 posts
    •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:58 PM

If you have anything else in the other pcie slots I would try just the one R9 card. You never know there might be something funky going on here. Pull out cards from the 1x slot too.

Nothing else in any of the other pci / pcie slots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users