Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apps including Store have failed

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:44 AM

Following the November Update about six important apps such as People and Windows Store itself have failed. Their tiles have gone blank, they do not respond when clicked, nor do their entries in all apps -- if they are there. Store cannot be found anywhere and I cannot download / reinstall  from the online Store.

I have used the Add-Appx Package  command from within  FixWin 10, and directly, in Windows Power Shell, without success. 

​(for some reason I cannot paste it here) .

However, Power Shell does report on each of the failed apps with a brief statement of why it cannot re-install / re-register them.

So what I need now is for someone to explain what I have to do with the information in order to get the apps back.

I have seen that others have similar problems.

Can someone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frox2k6

frox2k6

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:22 AM

Following the November Update about six important apps such as People and Windows Store itself have failed. Their tiles have gone blank, they do not respond when clicked, nor do their entries in all apps -- if they are there. Store cannot be found anywhere and I cannot download / reinstall  from the online Store.

I have used the Add-Appx Package  command from within  FixWin 10, and directly, in Windows Power Shell, without success. 

​(for some reason I cannot paste it here) .

However, Power Shell does report on each of the failed apps with a brief statement of why it cannot re-install / re-register them.

So what I need now is for someone to explain what I have to do with the information in order to get the apps back.

I have seen that others have similar problems.

Can someone help?

Worth asking, are you making sure to run PowerShell as an administrator? What is the message given as to why it cannot install them?

#3 Robk1w1

Robk1w1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:48 PM

I may have a similar issue - occurred a couple of months ago, but since I don't use many apps, it hasn't been a big issue for me. Multiple apps do not run, and are shown in the apps list not in alphabetic order but at the bottom under "Other" with weird descriptions. I've attached a file with a picture of the apps menu. A couple of notable apps which don't run are the store itself and the calculator.

I've tried various "re-install all apps" type solutions, and running the Microsoft troubleshooter (which mostly appears to just use wsreset.exe to clear the local cache). No change.

There have been several updates since this occurred which have not changed any behavior.

Any suggestions?

Attached File  MS apps issue.png   77.71KB   0 downloads

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:31 AM

There's 2 different set of common powershell commands that help with apps (as I recall) - which one have you used?

This is the one that I know of:

Run the following command in a Powershell window that's run as an Administrator in order to re-register the Windows Store apps:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
From this article:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/re-register-windows-store-apps
Be sure that Edge is closed (in Task Manager).  Cortana will spit an error as it's still running - don't worry about thatfor now.

If yours is not EXACTLY the same, please post a copy of it (this'll help when I search for the other one that I've seen)

If you can't copy/paste the results of the powershell run, try taking a screenshot and posting it here.

PrtScrn will copy the entire desktop, while Alt-PrtScrn will copy the active window.

Then you can paste it into Paint or another similar program.

Other things to try:

- Reset with the Keep My Files option

- DISM (the restore health option)

- sfc.exe /scannow

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Robk1w1

Robk1w1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:46 PM

Response to above command; it looks like there was a failure message for each of the apps which are causing me grief, but many others were successful.

Attached File  PS1.png   90.41KB   0 downloadsAttached File  PS2.png   87.42KB   0 downloadsAttached File  PS3.png   25.37KB   0 downloads

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:06 PM

Here's one link:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-troubleshoot-problems-app

I'd first start with the apps troubleshooter:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=268423

Then I'd concentrate on syncing the app licenses and uninstalling/reinstalling the apps

You can also try this:  http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/how-reinstall-windows-10-store

And this tool may help also:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fixwin-for-windows-10

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Robk1w1

Robk1w1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:26 PM

Attached File  PS4.png   22.52KB   0 downloadsThe troubleshooter referenced above isn't for Win-10, but the Win-10 one finds no problems.

Trying to reinstall the WindowsStore app leads to the included error, which is probably symptomatic of why all these apps are failing (but the message means nothing to me!)

I'll try the other suggestions later, but I suspect I may have already been there without success.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 05:56 AM

Also, have you tried (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt):

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

and

SFC.EXE /SCANNOW

#9 Robk1w1

Robk1w1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:00 PM

SFC system file checker finds no errors (run multiple times over the past weeks).

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth "completed successfully", but no change!

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:04 AM

I'm about out of ideas.

Try a Reset using the Keep My Files option.

#11 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:30 PM

I have found this is a widespread problem, widely reported symptoms on different forums are remarkably similar. It is mainly but not only Microsoft's own apps which are affected. The reason why Power Shell cannot re-install / re-register apps, in every case is stated as "Package could not be registered because there was a merge failure." Meaning?

Many more apps than I first realised have disappeared, because some are ones I rarely use, such as Calculator, Maps

I too have the weird Other list at the bottom of All Apps showing (in my case) nine none-functioning apps, all of which are named strangely like this "@Microsoft.People_xyz" ---- xyz is a very long mainly numeric code. In a few cases these names appear on none-functioning tiles.

None-functioning Groove Music is listed like that but is referred to as 'Zune Music'!

Advice to uninstall / reinstall apps misses the point, because you cannot find the app to uninstall it and you cannot find Store to re-install it. I have tried unsuccessfully to download / re- install some apps like Films and TV from the online Store (which I can launch).  ​What I get is a message saying 'you will need a new app to open this Microsoft Store' with no explanation and no way to do it. What can this 'new app be'?

I have used SFC / SCANNOW and DISM which report 'there is no problem'. Who are they kidding? I have used FixWin 10 which uses Power Shell and various Troubleshooters. I used four restore points, which did not work.

It really is a mess. As many people are suffering  (and more to come?) I do hope Microsoft will issue a fix, soon. One suggestion is to re-install Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool. I paid a technician (quite a lot) to install it in the first place. It is not an attractive proposition.  

#12 Robk1w1

Robk1w1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 09:11 PM

Thanks usasma for all your suggestions; at least it got me to document everything I've been trying!

New information:

I added a new user. All those weird app entries under "Other" were not there for that user, but neither were any of the apps anywhere either!  I specifically looked for Calculator and WindowsStore and a search did not find them on the computer.

So then I tried to reinstall using the Power Shell command line given above:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

I appeared to get the same lot of errors that I posted above (I didn't check them line by line), and still no WindowsStore or Calculator (or presumably any of the others that were failed). One group - the one that applies to WindowsStore - is attached to this posting. Surely this should mean something to someone!?!

Attached File  Screenshot (1)a.png   17.66KB   0 downloads

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:14 AM

It probably does mean something, but it's really beyond my level of understanding.

Sorry, but I'm out of suggestions now.

Good luck to you!

#14 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:10 AM

I found this statement in another forum: "Do you have Windows 10 November Update (Version 1511) installed on your PC? There's a bug in the November Update which causes apps not to work after using re-register feature."​

I now suspect our efforts to find a solution ourselves may be misplaced (I too tried creating a new account, with exactly the same result). Instead I think we have to concentrate on getting Microsoft to issue a fix, hopefully in a purpose built update ---- soon. Surely it should not be too difficult, as the cause is now fairly well documented. How do we go about getting Microsoft to act?

#15 Robk1w1

Robk1w1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

I do have update version 1511, but the problem existed before it was applied, with no change to the issue. I keep hoping that an update will cure it... still waiting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users