Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noob computer gaming question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fingerling

fingerling

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:09 AM

Basically I only want a computer to play "Diablo 2" and "Diablo 2: LoD'' and I know nothing about computers.

I have a tablet and laptop I use for everything else, but want to use a  desktop for gaming as the bigger screen and full sized keyboard helps.

If my only concern is being able to play this computer game (which is quite old, so I am guessing the requirements are not great)

what is a decently priced computer which will get the job done? I have looked around and found some bundles containing everything- pc, monitor, keyboard, etc- for around $175-200 dollars, though I'm not sure if they're worth anything.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced pc/monitor combo that I need to play the above game, and only to play the above game?

Thanks

p.s.

Here are some of the sorts of bundles I was looking at.. any comments on the ability of these to handle my needs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Desktop-Windows-7-Computer-WiFi-Core-2-Duo-4GB-Ram-1TB-PC-w-19-LCD-Monitor-/141690011229?hash=item20fd61fe5d:g:w1kAAOSwBahVccoR

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Desktop-PC-Computer-Ready-For-Windows-10-Core-2-Duo-19-Monitor-4GB-1TB-WiFi-/262086369243?hash=item3d05909fdb:g:DakAAOSwhcJWPPGP

And here is a page concerning the system requirements for the game:  **I will be using multiplayer**

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-ii-minimum-system-requirements

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 07 December 2015 - 07:21 AM.
Moved from Computer Gaming to Buying New - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grimmskld

Grimmskld

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:29 AM

Even though you are only looking to play those 2 games, I bet that in the future, you might be inclined to pay something else once you overplay each Diablo.  I would recommend looking into a machine with a quad-core processor, 6 gb's of memory, and a dedicated graphics card within it.  This will still not be expensive since this is the standard minimum for even low-end gamer's at this point.  

Edited by Grimmskld, 08 December 2015 - 10:30 AM.

#3 Vision123

Vision123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:40 AM

Basic Usage
CPU: Diablo II: Lord of Destruction requires a Pentium-compatible 233 MHz processor or better.

Memory: 32 MB of RAM is required for Single Player mode. 64 MB of RAM is required for Multiplayer mode. Open Battle.net game Creators and TCP/IP game Hosts: 128MB RAM recommended (256MB RAM in games with over 4 players).

Hard Drive Space: Installation of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction occupies a minimum of 1.5 GB of your hard drive space - 950 MB for the Multiplayer installation of Diablo II and another 550 MB for the Expansion Set, itself.

Video: Diablo II: Lord of Destruction requires an SVGA video card and a monitor capable of displaying 800 x 600 pixels at a color depth of at least 256 colors.

3D accelerators compatible with Glide or Direct3D are supported. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction requires 8MB of texture RAM.

Sound: Diablo II: Lord of Destruction requires a DirectX-compatible sound card. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction supports sound cards with 3D positioning and environmental audio effects, like reverberation and occlusion. Be sure to configure your sound driver and position your speakers to get the optimum audio performance from your system.

Operating System: Diablo II: Lord of Destruction is a Windows 95/98/ME/2000/NT/XP game that utilizes Microsoft DirectX. Windows NT 4.0 must have service pack 5 or higher installed. Diablo II: Lord of Destruction will run under DirectX 6.1 or higher, but we recommend updating to DirectX version 7.0a. You may install DirectX 7.0a using the Diablo II: Lord of Destruction Installer.

Windows 2000 and NT 4.0 do not require that you install Microsoft DirectX, as it is already part of the operating system.

with such requirement i think yes a 200 $ pc would be enough but i agree with grimm you should buy a better pc sooner or later i think you will need it

#4 fingerling

fingerling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:49 PM

Even though you are only looking to play those 2 games, I bet that in the future, you might be inclined to pay something else once you overplay each Diablo.  I would recommend looking into a machine with a quad-core processor, 6 gb's of memory, and a dedicated graphics card within it.  This will still not be expensive since this is the standard minimum for even low-end gamer's at this point.  

have any products in mind which fit that description? not sure what a dedicated graphics card would be.

but this is a game I have played on and off for probably a decade and a half. I don't play other games :P

thanks for replies 

#5 GameGuru

GameGuru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:48 AM

Some older games you mike like would be Dungeon Siege then.  Also you might want to play Diablo 3 and that has more demanding (but still not that bad) requirements.  Lots of people love DOTA 2 so you might want to give that a try.  You could even try Devilian.  There are lots of games like Diablo you might want to try.

At a minimum I would go with a cheap quad core (AMD FX line), 8GB of RAM, Geforce GT 730/Radeon R7 line, SSD.  This would run you about $300 complete and can play the games you want at probably max.

AMD FX-6300 6-Core|Asrock 990FX Extreme3|16GB G. Skill Ripjaws (4x4GB) DDR3 1600|MSI Geforce GTX 970 Gaming 4G|250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD|8TB (total) Seagate NAS HDD|Corsair CX600M 600W PSU|Pioneer BDR-209DBK|HP Pavilion 25XI 25" IPS 7ms Display|CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO|Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II 2.0 Speakers

These guys know tech!  Check out digitalSoup at http://www.digitalsouppodcast.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users