Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox works, but not IE (sometimes), odd behavior

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DebitsAndCredits

DebitsAndCredits

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:09 AM

Hello to you who are considering helping me from the world wide webs,

At the request of my sister-in-law, I am submitting this request to Bleeping Computer. She has a Dell that is running Windows 7. You can see the DxDiag screenshot in the list of screenshots below.

I started up the computer and waited for quite a time. I have removed a number of applications from her computer, unchecked many of the boxes in the "Startup" list in MSConfig, and run MalwareBytes which found Trojan.Hiloti and remove that.

However there are still some things that are bothering me and I am not an expert. So I am reaching out to the experts here to see if an expert can help me.

Here is some of the system information:

......at the bottom of this list there are two IP addresses listed. Does each computer only have one? Why two?

Below are a number of screenshots the few things that are bothering me and making me curious.

1) I can use Firefox, which is what I am using to post this forum topic. However, when I open up Internet Explorer, I cannot load Yahoo.com. However, I can load Google.com and do a search ("What's for dinner" screenshot)

2) I am logged on as the administrator, but there is a folder called: 2430b5a026a3ccea54c2923495 that I can click on, but I cannot open any of the folders or files contained within this folder. You can see me trying to open folder 1025 contained in the above mentioned folder. Windows security pops up with an error message.

3) Not sure if malicious software would make a copy of the C:\Program Files folder ....again, I am not an expert! Sorry!

4) The number of processes listed when I started the Task Manager is less than the count of running processes in the message bar at the bottom of the Window. So I am wondering if something is running in the background that might be malicious. In the screenshot, the Image Name column lists around 35-40 processes, but the total count is 72 at the bottom of the screen.

5) Lastly, there is a weird credential listed. Just wondering if this is also a potential clue that the computer has or had malware.

Thank you for taking the time to consider my request for help!

Best regards,

DebitsAndCredits

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DebitsAndCredits

DebitsAndCredits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:23 AM

Okay, oops, I see that the screenshots did not post.

Here at least is the system information:

Host Name:  SUZIE-PC

OS Name:   Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

OS Version:  6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation

OS Build type:  Multiprocessor Free

Registered owner: Suzie

Registered Organization: Microsoft

Product Id: (deleted)

Original Install Date: 5/21/2010 3:12:47 PM

System Boot Time:  12/6/2015, 9:53:51 PM

System Manufacturer:  Dell Inc.

System Model: Inspiron 1545

System Type: x64-based PC

Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.

Processors [01]: Intel64 Familiy 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 Genuine Intel ~2200 Mhz

BIOS Version: Dell Inc. A13, 10/23/2009

Windows Directory: C:\Windows

System Directory: C:\Windows\System32

Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume2

SystemLocale: en-us;English (United States)

Total Physical Memory:  3,032 MB

Avaliable Physical Memory: 1,379 MB

Virtual Memory: Max Size: 6, 063 MB

Virtual Memory: Available: 4, 115 MB

Virtual Memory: In Use:  1,948 MB

Thank you,

DebitsAndCredits

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 December 2015 - 10:51 PM.
deleted Product Id number

#3 DebitsAndCredits

DebitsAndCredits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:57 PM

Computer is working again!

Thank you so much for everyone in this community!

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year.

-Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users