Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat my HDD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheCalcium

TheCalcium

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:07 AM

I have finished year 12 and have left my school along with a school provided laptop.

I have just received admin privileges for my school laptop and can do anything I want with my laptop.

However they didn't remove all the annoying school software which was on it while I was working at school.

I want to remove all of that software because it seriously slows down my laptop and is annoying but I don't want to individually uninstall all of that software through the add/remove software thing in windows because it may cause faults in the system.

I thought I could reformat my HDD and leave the OS there by remove all other data on the system. However, I don't have a windows CD and the laptop doesn't have an optical drive.

How could I reformat my laptop without remove the OS?

Edited by hamluis, 12 December 2015 - 01:22 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup, Imaging, Disk Management Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:39 AM

If all the software were installed on C drive, you might need to purchase a new Windows system after reformat. As to uninstalling the programs, you can get some uninstaller software.

#3 TheCalcium

TheCalcium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:02 AM

And then how would I install that newly bought windows?

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:47 AM

Reformatting would mean the loss of everything on the hard drive. The OS, & all installed programs. Those can not be saved. Files created & saved should be backed up first.   

You could purchase an external DVD/CD drive. Does your laptop have a recovery partition? As to uninstalling software, REVO Uninstaller always gets top marks.

REVO: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html  Look for the Free Version. Read the user guide, as it offers several uninstall options. It's my number 1 go to for software uninstall.

External CD/DVD Drives: http://www.newegg.com/External-CD-DVD-Blu-Ray-Drives/SubCategory/ID-420  You could also check Amazon. Both are competitive.

Win 7: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=windows%207&clk_rvr_id=945466571956&mfe=search

When you post back, provide the make, & model of your computer.

Edited by saw101, 07 December 2015 - 01:49 AM.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#5 TheCalcium

TheCalcium
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:00 AM

The laptop is an Acer Aspire TimelineX 1830T.

#6 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:37 AM

Look and see what sort of factory rebuild option Acer put on your laptop - some OEMs equip their equipment with them, some don't.  

You'd still need to backup your data regardless, but essentially that would put the PC in the exact state it came from after it came out of the factory and would likely leave no trace of your school software on the PC - chances are the IT department at your school has an image ready to go whenever they get a shipment of new laptops which automatically installs that software.  

If you're not sure get in touch with Acer and find out.   

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 13 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

Another freebie you might like is Add/Remove Pro; a simple interface, it will list all installed in alpha-order, sometimes it will list something that other uninstallers do not list.  However, Revo Uninstaller [free or Pro] is one of the best.

I just remembered:  PC-Decrapifier will let you checkmark all that you want removed; however, I have not tried it, cannot vouch that it will do as you want.

Edited by RolandJS, 13 December 2015 - 09:37 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users