Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are my Temperature Settings wrong?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:18 PM

Hey guys, It was brought to my attention by Al000 that my pc was running hot so I took action.  I recently Re-Applied Thermal Paste and cleaned up the Heat-Sink and Fan really well.  Everything seems to be working really well, but the temps are still similar.  The Heatsink fins were dirty along with the Fan so I would have thought this would fix me up, but now I am wondering it the settings are off that are reporting these Temps?  The fan seems to be working less, especially at start.  Then when the Temp rose to about 60c it started to run faster as it usually always ran before.  Seems to be less heat coming from the exhaust in general, so that seems to be a good sign. 

Right now running about 50-51c with only two browser Tabs open and nothing else.

Here is what I see in Hardware Temp Settings, and a Psensor shot.

9y1BbkR.png

nX1fVS3.png

Edited by pcpunk, 06 December 2015 - 11:24 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:46 PM

I couldn't find any info on the Normal Operating Temps for this intel core duo T5500 in my signature (sorry forgot to mention) but did find this site that was saying this was normal?  #2 POST

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=164734

EDIT: I did see that the max Temp was 85c and the Critical Temp is 125c but not normal Temps.

Edited by pcpunk, 06 December 2015 - 11:48 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,279 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:48 PM

If you have an Intel T5500 the maximum normal operating temperature is 100° C, and that's not the critical temperature, either, regardless of which of the two versions of the T5500 you have.  See the spec pages here and here.

Unless you were running above 100° C you were nowhere near to "running hot" and the temperatures shown, in the 50s C, are far, far, far from hot for that processor.

Not that it can't happen, but it seems a lot of people who make the statement that someone's CPU is "running hot" appear to have never checked out the manufacturer's technical specs for said CPU.  I see a lot more panic about "running hot" than is borne out when you look at actual running temperature and the manufacturer's stated operating range.  That's what matters, and the maximum values for various processors can vary quite a bit.

P.S.  Your last post came in as I was finishing this one.  If you look at the tech specs for this Athlon XP CPU on cpu-world.com you'll see that maximum normal operating temperature is 90° C.  The thread you posted is yet another example of a ton of worry about nothing.  The operating ranges discussed there are well within normal limits (check out the Turion and others to see how WNL).

Edited by britechguy, 06 December 2015 - 11:57 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:59 PM

I see, yes you are correct!  And I see it now "Junction"

"Junction Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor die."  And is indeed 100c

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:04 AM

Very happy now thanks britechguy.  The fan seems to be running less, and less heat is coming out of the exhaust, I can clearly tell! nice.  I needed to do this anyhow so all is not lost.  I also needed a CMOS as this pc is about 10yrs old.  I blew all the parts lightly with the "Canned Air" but most importantly, as you saw in my other post, cleaned everything spotless! even the inside of the Heatsink fins with a soft new toothbrush.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,279 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:04 AM

Now, go forth and, every time you see someone complaining that their own, or anyone else's, processor is running hot take the time to go to either cpu-world or the manufacturer's websites to see what they say the maximum normal operating temperature limit is.

I have yet to see a single instance of the, "OMG, I'm running really hot!!" crowd coming within anything close to the upper limit.  25 to 30 degrees C below the maximum when the processor is under very heavy load is not, repeat, not running hot!

That being said, one should occasionally vacuum the air intake and exhaust ports on any laptop and pop the side off of a desktop to vacuum the heat sink and fans.  Most that I've seen that are utterly filthy still have CPUs that are running well below the normal maximum and even more below what's most often listed as critical temperature, which is when a self-shutdown will occur.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:08 AM

Agreed!  Also will mention that in Psensor - I have had the sensor set to warn me when the Temps get to 80c because of what I read quite a while ago about my temps, but was really not completely sure about it then, now I am - thanks again!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:21 AM

Now, go forth and, every time you see someone complaining that their own, or anyone else's, processor is running hot take the time to go to either cpu-world or the manufacturer's websites to see what they say the maximum normal operating temperature limit is.

That, or better yet, take advantage of the situation & make some extra cash with cleanup & reapplying thermal paste. Often by the time a computer is 2-5 years old, depending on environment (a dusty home will usually cause dust buildup to occur), especially notebooks that often ran on carpet, these needs a good cleaning to cool not only the CPU, the MB & other components also. Some also has the GPU embedded in the CPU (1st gen Arrandale series i3/5/7 & forward models). 

If the owner says the notebook runs hotter than when purchased, that's a telling sign it needs cleaning & repasting, the way that pcpunk has described. The Heatsink grooves are especially important to clean, that's the first place the dust begins to get trapped. If there's a smoker in the home, this can be worse, dust mixed with sticky residue from the environment. The majority of Home users could care less about tech specs, usually only us enthusiasts are into that aspect. The typical Home user just wants their computer to run, just like their car, TV, or anything else used, could care less about details, let alone getting their hands dirty with some work. 

pcpunk, catch some good thermal paste on promo, Arctic MX-4 is some really good stuff, one can get a $18 tube often for $6 shipped using promo codes, that we're not allowed to display here. As long as the applicator is sealed good, it's not going bad, has an 8 year warranty, which is a sign of a good brand. One of these tubes can repaste several computers. PC shops charges $200 or more for this service & there's no sure fire way that who is doing the work isn't a trainee working for the owner, learning the ropes themselves. It's mostly profit, minus the salary paid to the employee, they buy (cheaper brand) paste in bulk, or 1000 count boxes of 'soft packs' that ships with many used CPU's. 

Go get em! :thumbup2:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 07 December 2015 - 03:27 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:30 AM

Hey Brian welcome to the Linux section,  Are you thinking of switching to the dark side?

OK here's the deal I wont tell the Windows crowd you came here, If you don't tell the Linux crowd I sometimes pop into the Windows 10 section.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:45 AM

Most that I've seen that are utterly filthy still have CPUs that are running well below the normal maximum and even more below what's most often listed as critical temperature, which is when a self-shutdown will occur.

I've seen a few of these myself, and when it's getting to where the CPU is shutting down to prevent meltdown, that's kind of like the engine oil check light comes on, has been neglected for years. Too many of these types of shutdowns are not good for the CPU, and likely the MB also. 

Pardon my manners,  :welcome: to our section of the forum, hope to see you around more & will certainly check out your site. :)

We can always use experienced hands here, be it on the OS or hardware end, or both. Glad to have you abroad. :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:55 AM

The fan seems to be running less, and less heat is coming out of the exhaust, I can clearly tell! nice.

Good stuff! Last time I took my laptop apart to vacuum the heat sinks, CPU temperature at "idle" went down from around 55C to 45C. The fan went from running all the time and speeding up when the CPU is under load, to not running most of the time and only switching on occasionally.

#12 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:51 AM

The fan seems to be running less, and less heat is coming out of the exhaust, I can clearly tell! nice.

Good stuff! Last time I took my laptop apart to vacuum the heat sinks, CPU temperature at "idle" went down from around 55C to 45C. The fan went from running all the time and speeding up when the CPU is under load, to not running most of the time and only switching on occasionally.

Set a schedule:  you're supposed to change batteries in smoke detectors twice a year, on the clock change.  Why not open the case, blow/vacuum out a PC on the same schedule?

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:24 PM

you're supposed to change batteries in smoke detectors twice a year, on the clock change.

Is that for zinc-chloride, alkaline or NiMH batteries? I've always changed smoke detector batteries when the detector starts to beep to let me know the battery is running flat.

My intention is to vacuum the heat-sinks again the next time the CPU starts to run hotter.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,279 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:55 PM

Hey Brian welcome to the Linux section,  Are you thinking of switching to the dark side?

OK here's the deal I wont tell the Windows crowd you came here, If you don't tell the Linux crowd I sometimes pop into the Windows 10 section.

NickAu,

I show up at random in any section where I think I have something to contribute based on the actual subject of the thread.  I am "equal opportunity" when it comes to loves/hates related to OSes.  Each has qualities that can fit in to those extremes, with most of the features being in the bland middle.

Since I saw this thread was about temperature monitoring, and the vast majority of hysterics I've ever seen are entirely unjustified, I thought I'd chime in.  There are far too many pronouncements about "running hot" when the CPU is nowhere near to its manufacturer tested and certified normal upper operating temperature.  Even Al1000's example, which I'm not arguing isn't a good result from following a good practice, doesn't show a CPU running anywhere near to "hot," 55 degrees C is barely warm, even for old hardware.

That being said, cleanliness is next to cool-ish-ness.  Far more heat buildup is the result of insulation by dust than anything else.

~ Brian Vogel

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,279 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:56 PM

Cat,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users