Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

getting message saying "Windows detected a hard disk problem"

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:59 PM

I am getting the following error message.  It doesn't sound good.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Windows detected a hard disk problem.

Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss, and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk.

- start backup process

- ask me again later

- don't ask me about this problem again

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:27 PM

Do you have a backup to an external drive ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 625 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:58 PM

I backed up everything yes.  

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:30 AM

Read HERE

I have no idea of your capability to replace a hard drive.....if you need to take this to a Tech....do so with the external backup drive and the rescue disk for the backup software.

If you have not used backup software, I would recommend Macrium Free. Take note that the rescue disc is most important.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:53 AM

Please download and run SeatTool for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for the different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

6.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 07 December 2015 - 10:46 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:33 AM

Would also be a good idea to run the chkdsk utility.  

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:23 PM

Chkdsk...has no impact at all on hard drive controller errors.  These errors typically indicate a problem drive connectivity or functionality...and chkdsk does not/cannot address such.

Louis

#8 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 625 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:20 PM

Thank you Arachibutyrophobia.  I am currently using Just Cloud and backing up my computer.    I will post results when I go through the process although it may be a couple days to back everything up at the pace it is doing so.  Thanks again!

Edited by chugg, 07 December 2015 - 04:23 PM.

#9 ohspecial1

ohspecial1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:09 PM

Chugg this is the pc telling you your hard drive is failing but i admit can still be used but could go at any time and you will notice the pc writing to different sectors

Depending on your drive manufacture seatools or western digital  lifeguard will tell you

But yes you need a new hard drive

#10 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 625 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:29 PM

I am going to run the Seagate and post the results.  If I need a new HD I will get one. Does anyone know of a cloud that I can save my desktop to that is cost effective?  I was going to use Just Cloud but they charge alot.  

#11 ohspecial1

ohspecial1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:52 PM

Best bet i just get another hard drive and back up 2 that

or if you just have a few pics and stuff can use dropbox

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:20 PM

Amazon will give you unlimited storage for $60 a year.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/pricing

Mega gives you 50GB for free but It's always best to have your data backed up to two locations if you are using Mega.

#13 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 625 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:12 PM

Please download and run SeatTool for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for the different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

6.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Good Afternoon Arachibutyrophobia,

Below is the log file.  Please let me know your thoughts.  Thanks!

WD-WX41A4120198
--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.4.0.2 ---------------
12/9/2015 2:10:25 PM
Model Number: WDC WD3200BEKT-08PVMT1
Serial Number: WD-WX41A4120198
Firmware Revision: 02.01A02
Long Generic - Started 12/9/2015 2:10:25 PM
Long Generic - Pass 12/9/2015 3:25:06 PM
Page

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:06 AM

I am getting the following error message.  It doesn't sound good.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Windows detected a hard disk problem.

Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss, and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk.

- start backup process

- ask me again later

- don't ask me about this problem again

When is this message appearing?

While it is starting?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 625 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:11 AM

No this comes up about every 10 minutes.  When I start the computer a different one comes up saying my HD is bad and I have to hit F1 to continue

Edited by chugg, 10 December 2015 - 11:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users