Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard disk error. "Cannot find required map name"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HonestAbe321

HonestAbe321

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:17 PM

I woke up this morning and my hard drive wouldn't boot. I tried unplugging and replugging the device, going into bios an resetting to default boot options, running a repair through windows disk, and messing with other bios options, but I just keep getting the same error

EFI Shell version 2.31 (4.651)
Current running mode 1.1.2
Map: cannot find required map name.

Press ESC in 5 seconds to skip startup.nsh, any other key to continue
Shell> _

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:19 AM

Can you plug the HDD into another PC, and check whether if it will boot?

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#3 HonestAbe321

HonestAbe321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:32 PM

I don't really have any way to do that.

#4 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:57 PM

Run a HDD Diagnostic from a CD-R disc, instruction here: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.html

What is the result?

Edited by batman1234, 07 December 2015 - 11:57 PM.

CPU: Intel i7-8700K 5.3 GHz ------ RAM: 32GB TridentZ 3600 MHz CL16 ----- Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X Formula ----- GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp! Extreme ----- Storage: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB -- Samsung 850 Pro 2TB x4

#5 HonestAbe321

HonestAbe321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:26 PM

The program isn't reading that I even have a hard drive plugged in. I've checked the cables and tried several times, still nothing. 

Something else I notice when I turn the device on. A methodical slow clicking noise comes out of the hard drive for five seconds or so. "click click...click click...click click" 

Not sure if that's important at all. 

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:02 PM

Most likely the clicking sound you're hearing is the dreaded "click of death", which is terminal.

The best suggestion is the one made, to be able to double-check the drive in another system, or using a USB adapter, however you can test by disconnecting the data cable from the drive, then powering the system up. If the drive still gives the cyclic click, it's gone. If it seemed to run normally with only power connected, then testing with the diagnostic in another system would be warranted.

Edited by Platypus, 08 December 2015 - 08:05 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 richcbro

richcbro

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:47 AM

The program isn't reading that I even have a hard drive plugged in. I've checked the cables and tried several times, still nothing. 

Something else I notice when I turn the device on. A methodical slow clicking noise comes out of the hard drive for five seconds or so. "click click...click click...click click" 

Not sure if that's important at all. 

If you hear the clicking sound from your drive, the drive is failing. Please follows Platypus's instruction and posts back your result.

#8 HonestAbe321

HonestAbe321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:14 PM

Thanks all, hard drive ended up being dead. Got a new one installed and I'm up and running again. Thanks a million!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users