Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Into a new problem with my Ram, Please Help.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ErikH12

ErikH12

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:51 PM

I'll start off saying, I've searched around for some solutions being on the Microsoft help forums, but seen most of the replies given, sadly were useless to me.

Maybe just a week ago, I had about 8 Gb of ram usable to my computer. Today I've noticed that my computer is at 5.80GB of usable ram, and my hardware reserve http://grab.by/Mx4k is now at 4.2GB now seen in the picture given.

To give a short overview on my computer here's a speccy picture of my system information, http://speccy.piriform.com/results/E5p0OjDEH2ULFgqyHJxwMPC 

I remember Updating my graphics card just the other day ago
, I've had to replace my graphics card from Nvida, to AMD, ( I thought it might be the problem but wasn't sure, if so how to undo?)

Basically what I want to do is obtain my lost gigs of ram. If I'm not supplying enough information or not being clear enough, I apologize and I will edit the post to be more understandable. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moe_P

Moe_P

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:08 AM

Have you tried running a memory test to see if there is a problem.

Moe_P

#3 ErikH12

ErikH12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for replying, I haven't, though when I return home I will give that a run.

Edited by ErikH12, 07 December 2015 - 10:01 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

Where are you looking to see how much RAM is available?

Something you should keep in mind is that the amount of available RAM will be constantly changing as different processes are started or stopped.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ErikH12

ErikH12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

The pictures provided is where I check my ram, Task manager for physical memory. Virtual Memory I just end up checking in the advanced system settings of my, PC info.

About to try a memory test now that I am home.

#6 GoFigure

GoFigure

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:19 PM

To start with, according to your speccy stats you are still running the Nvidia drivers.  You need to uninstall all the Nvidia software and then check your ram. I also noticed that your memory post shows 3 of 4 slots used, and that appears to be abnormal as does the total of 10GB.  Speccy misidentified your motherboard, it is a Gigabyte M3970AM-HP and supports up to 32GB DDR3 and use 1, 2, 4, or 8 GB DIMMs.  Normally memory is installed in pairs so I don't know how you are getting 10GB total when it is using only 3 slots.

Edited by GoFigure, 07 December 2015 - 04:33 PM.

#7 ErikH12

ErikH12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:23 PM

I have two four gigabyte chips, and one two gigabyte chip, all three are stock, bought from best buy. As for my Nvidia drivers I didn't notice, I'll try and find where to uninstall those, thanks for catching that.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:40 PM

You can uninstall the NVIDIA drivers in the Control Panel under Program and Features.  

The pictures provided is where I check my ram, Task manager for physical memory. Virtual Memory I just end up checking in the advanced system settings of my, PC info.

About to try a memory test now that I am home.

The Speccy is showing you what is installed.  That is the amount of RAM which is installed.  Any figure suggesting that you have less than this will be based on the amount current in use and the amount of what is available.  Unless you are seeing a figure that suggests that you about our of RAM I wouldn't worry about this figure.  Combinations of programs, process, and other items using these resources will affect the available amount of RAM.

Virtual memory doesn't come into play until you are so low in available RAM that the swap space on the hdd/ssd comes into play.

You need to have the updates enabled.  You can set these up to download the updates, but not install them.  You can then decide whether you wish to install them or not.  Security updates are important, I would select these to be installed... always.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 ErikH12

ErikH12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:57 PM

The reason I worry about it is because I use my computer mainly for gaming purposes, I had maybe two to three more gigs of usable memory just a week ago, and it just left me a bit irritated not knowing where that ram was displaced to. I believe I understand what you're saying, Speccy is identifying my installed ram, and what is available, I just want to know if there is a way to show me where it was displaced to and undo my actions, System restore popped into my head but wanted to find other simple solutions. 

And thank you, I'm about to uninstall the Nvidia drivers right now.

Update: The memory test had no errors, sorry I forgot to mention this.

Edited by ErikH12, 07 December 2015 - 05:02 PM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:05 PM

Open the Task Manager, click/tap on the Processes and see what is using the RAM.

#11 ErikH12

ErikH12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:19 PM

It seems like the usual processes, which is using the available 5.8GB of usable memory, right..? I haven't dabbled with the task manager all to much to know which represents for what, sorry for the ignorance.  :mellow:

#12 GoFigure

GoFigure

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:03 PM

I am not familiar with AMD video cards but it might be possible that it is reserving memory for its use.  I agree that you have an excessive amount of reserved memory.  I checked a couple of my  computers and only have 61MB on one and 66MB on the other.  You can check how your memory is being used by Windows Resource Monitor.  Open the Charms Bar (Windows + C), click Settings and Show Administrative Tools.  Resource Monitor will show you what is using memory and how much. 

Have you updated your BIOS to the latest version?  Check with your hardware manufacturer support page to see if a newer BIOS is available for your system.

One solution that worked for a user was to remove his memory and swap the dimms in the slots, which caused his hardware reserved memory to go from 8GB to 16MB.  I would say that would be a last resort since all your dimms are not the same and you could only swap the two fours.

Please provide the make and model of your computer.

Edited by GoFigure, 07 December 2015 - 06:23 PM.

#13 ErikH12

ErikH12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:23 PM

I see.. I guess I'm stuck until I get new RAM Sticks. I checked the resource monitor, I can't make to much sense of it, where to find the reserved memory, but I do see the processes that are using the usable 5.8GB.

This is probably a very bad place to state this, but I installed the same AMD graphics drive about two or three times, Still says I need to update to the version I downloaded and "installed". It's been in the back of my head but made no sense to me. Installing the same version of a graphics drive is impossible, right..? ( I know it's the reserved hardware that went up, I figured the driver was hardware and the driver updates 'software' added to the reserve)

If there are anyways that might help me I'll try it, before I leap to a restore point to see if it helps. I thank you both for responding quickly and helping me today.

Edited by ErikH12, 07 December 2015 - 06:26 PM.

#14 GoFigure

GoFigure

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:47 PM

Don't buy new ram, just remove it and swap the sticks around.  You can use the Display Driver Uninstall Utility (http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) to remove your display drivers and then install them fresh.  After you do that run Speccy again and see what it shows as running.

#15 ErikH12

ErikH12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:48 PM

Ran DDU for Nvidia, and AMD, in safe mode, switched the power off and moved the ram sticks.

My display is now cropped, Looking for the old display driver I had, and my Usable Memory is the same..

Update: Having a similar problem to this guy >http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/365007-display-becomes-cropped-smaller-post-boot-monitor-2.html

He fixed it by going into the Nvidia Control Panel, which I don't have now. :l

All I wanted was my ram back, Looking for a solution for this problem, this post still stands for my original problem.

Edited by ErikH12, 07 December 2015 - 08:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users