Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thermal Paste Dry Time?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:48 PM

Just cleaned out my cooling system on my laptop.  I used the more expensive Thermal Paste from Radio Shack because I was needing to get  it done, it was Silver based.  The problem is (besides me not knowing what I'm doing) is there are no directions on Thermal Paste packaging.  Guess they figure a person buying this will know.  So, as in the Thread Title, how long is dry time for this?

Thanks pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:16 PM

You apply a small dab...spread with something like a playing card...NO drying time. I think it is likely beginners would apply too much which

can cause over heating. A 'small dab' is the scientific term for about the size of a BB. :)

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:44 PM

No dry time! Okay that is good.  Yeah I would be guilty of putting too much, but not way too much.  I seen in tutorials to just put a little dab and then spread it.  Though the original was too much for sure, as it was all around the cpu and had squished out on to it.  Gotta be better than it was with all that garbage in the Heatsink cooling fins.  Cleaned it all up really well and installed, hoping for the best.  I meticulously cleaned everything with alcohol, all the fan blades, and even got inside the heatsink fins with a soft toothbrush and alcohol.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:34 PM

Well done PCpunk.

I did exactly the same thing over the weekend, Cleaned the heat sink new thermal paste, I even wipe the inside and outside of my PC case with an old rag with bug spray same thing for the little hutch the case lives in.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,872 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:41 AM

Bug Spray lol, yes I see your other post!  Haven't had to do that yet lol.  Are you using your pc in the outback?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:08 AM

No, But quite often I fix customers PC's in my man cave and some of those cases may have roaches or other bugs in them.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users