Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi seems to work, but I dont have any available networks

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 indymhr

indymhr

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:46 PM

Hi

I working on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with Windows 8.1 - My son inadvertently removed his wifi settings - im still not sure how.  internet works thru an ethernet cable - my home network shows up on the wired connection just fine.  I went to device drivers and I saw the yellow exclamation point on the wireless network adapter so I reinstalled the wireless driver - the network adapter was a Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter - I thought problem solved but when I unplugged the ethernet cable - the wifi bars showed up with a red X over them.  I clicked on the wifi bars and got the message that no network connections are available.  I ran the troubleshooting app and it said there might be a problem with the wifi adapter - so i uninstalled the driver and reinstalled - didnt help - I uninstalled it and restarted the computer to let it reinstall on startup - no help.  I went to the network and sharing center and went to the change adapter settings - the wifi setting show up and says it is enabled - when I click on that I see that my IPv4 connectivity is not connected (on the ethernet setting that says internet) - my IPv6 connectivity is not connected and my Media State is enabled (this is the same as the ethernet settings) -under connection settings the wifi shows as not connected.  I have zone alarm firewall, avast antivirus, malwarebytes and spybot search and destroy - I tried turning off zone alarm (windows firewall is always off) and avast and then uninstalling and reinstalling the driver but that didnt help so i turned them back on.  I tried turning off the router and then turning it back on to see if that would let the wifi find the network but that didnt help.  I ran IPconfig, but I dont seem to have any entries for wifi there - the output from the ipconfig /all I ran is here:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : McSnausage
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : 
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : F8-A9-63-82-E2-A6
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7dc8:c908:9cf5:f42b%3(Preferred) 
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.100(Preferred) 
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 6, 2015 6:54:50 PM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, December 7, 2015 7:14:06 PM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 66627939
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1B-C4-C9-DA-F8-A9-63-82-E2-A6
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:3807:20df:b4d1:bc1a(Preferred) 
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::3807:20df:b4d1:bc1a%5(Preferred) 
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 369098752
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-1B-C4-C9-DA-F8-A9-63-82-E2-A6
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{29491E03-56C3-4158-982D-4F25E186D9C8}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

That's about all I can think of - I'm pretty stuck so I will really your help

Thank you

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Horst666

Horst666

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:13 PM

Hard to say but i assume the first explanation mark you saw meant the adapter was deactivated. I further assume there is a simple explanatin for this:

Maybe your wificard needs to be activated via key combination, look for wifi symbol on your keyboard (usually F5) then press FN and this key. This only works when the driver for the special keys is installed.

or

When you install wifi drivers they often come with stupid tools that take control over your card/network environment and also often just do not work. Is there some tool/program that came with the driver? Open it and look everywhere to give the control back to Windows.

#3 indymhr

indymhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:54 PM

Hi Horst666 - Thank you for the reply,

#4 indymhr

indymhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:58 PM

Sorry - I hit a key that just posted for me

I forgot to mention that I did hit the FN/key combo that would switch from WiFi to airplane mode and back - is that what you meant? Also - I am not aware of any tool that came with the driver - the computer was purchased at bestbuy and the wifi just worked upon start up - if there was a tool like that, where would I look for it - Also, would there be any process that needs to run that could be off that I could turn on thru admin tools - I will definitely take a look and see if any of what you suggested could be it, but if you have more input that would be great

Thanks again

#5 Vision123

Vision123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:04 PM

my friend bought a new pc few months ago it had an Qualcomm Atheros network adapter in it.
it had lots of problems connecting to the internet it always gave him limited access.
tried to uninstall the driver and reinstal it and i even tried to move to windows 7 but still the problem was there.
he finally exchanged that laptop to a ne laptop with a different network adapter and now things works normaly.
i did read alot on the internet that the Qualcomm adapter have lots of problems

#6 indymhr

indymhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for the response - Well, it certainly may be an adapter, but it was working just fine until my son removed his wifi connection (again, I assume he deleted the drivers but I don't know) - I may end up having to replace the adapter, but I would like to exhaust my other options before I do so I don't have limited access with Wifi - I have no access, but I have full access with ethernet - Is there a process or app that could be turned off that I might need to check to see if they are enabled - like in the windows services under admin tools.  It just seems as if Im missing something simple.  I have read about doing a winsock reset but that goes beyond what I really understand and so I am not sure what it might do to my system - for example, it says I would need to reinstall any layered service providers - I don't know what those are so Im reluctant to remove them.  But is that something I should consider trying.  I also saw that I may need to go into BIOS and turn on my wifi adapter, not sure why it would have been turned off, but maybe that happened when the wifi was removed.  It doesn't seem to be a power problem (plugging in the AC adapter doesn't help) and all my other devices connect wirelessly to my network just fine. Thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:23 PM

In services look for WLan Autoconfig and make sure it is set to Automatic and it is Started. As you already posted, look in your BIOS to see if the Wifi adapter has been disabled. 

When your right click the wireless card in Device Manager and select Properties does it say that the device is working properly?

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 December 2015 - 04:31 PM.

#8 indymhr

indymhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:14 AM

Hi - ok I checked these things out:

The WLAN autoconfig is set to automatic and it is running

I went in BIOS - I did not see a Wifi adapter, but I did see that the LAN was enabled - that's the only thing I saw that was close to Wifi

I right clicked on the wireless card and it said the device is working properly

Thank you for the input, any other suggestions would be appreciated

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:43 AM

Reset TCP/IP  At an elevated command prompt. Windows key + X (cmd as admin)  type

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot. If you still cannot connect then at an elevated command prompt type

sfc /scannow     This will look look for any missing or corrupt system files.

Download Netadapter all in one repair.  Make sure your wireless adapter is in the dropdown box and the press Advanced Repair.

#10 indymhr

indymhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:52 PM

Hi 

I ran the two netsh commands and they said they worked ok and I restarted the computer as directed, but that did not fix the problem.  I ran sfc/scannow and it said it found but couldnt fix some corrupt files - then I downloaded Netadapter repair all in one - This is what was in the dropdown box - Ethernet, Loopback Pseudo-interface 1, Teredo tunneling interface, and isatap {29491E03-56C3-4158-982D-4F25E186D9C8}  I have a qualcomm atheros wireless adapter, so I dont think it is listed here - so please advise.  This is a strange problem - it seems like my wifi adapter is working, but something is blocking it from seeing any available networks

Thanks again for any and all help

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 09:10 AM

First, there seems to be quite a few issues with Toshiba and this adapter when doing a Google search.

That is strange. I would try updating the driver again. Go here I am assuming this is a 64bit OS. Download version 10.0.0.326. Click the Green download button. It will take a bit before the download begins. Unzip the folder to the desktop and in that folder will be 6 files. You want to keep the ones with a X suffix if you have 64bit and delete the others.

These will be the files you need.

athwbx.cat

athwbx.inf

athwbx.sys

Right click your Atheros adapter in Device Manager and Select Propertied. Under the Driver Tab press Update driver. You want to point it to the inf file in the folder on the desktop.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9695-driver-install-device-manager-windows-8-a.html

Reboot the computer and see if you can now connect.

#12 indymhr

indymhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:08 PM

Hi - sorry for the delay - ok I updated the drivers with the files as you indicated and rebooted - unfortunately that didnt help - any other suggestions will be appreciated as I am out of ideas

Thanks

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:46 AM

I am pretty much out of ideas. I think your next option would be to purchase a WIFI dongle. You could try doing a Refresh, not a  Reset, but you would need to reinstall any programs you installed after purchase.

Some good WIFI dongles.

Tplink

Edimax

#14 indymhr

indymhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2015 - 10:20 AM

Hi -sorry for the delay - with the holidays my time has compressed - ok - thats a good idea I will try a dongle, if that doesnt work then I think I am to either a reset or reinstalling windows - I hope to get to that before the year is out but I really appreciate all of the input you gave me

Thanks 

#15 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 25 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

Please clarify my son removed his wireless connection.
Does your ISP provide wireless services to your home and how?

I know you said you had a working wired lan but is your isp modem wireless?
Do you see any other devices in your network neighbor hood.
Clicking on your icon in the task bar you should have a list of devices [other connections] near you if you indeed have wireless.

Other than that you have already been given everything else I can think of.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users