Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I use the bluetooth keyboard from my old dell on my new dell

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 techdumdum

techdumdum

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:30 PM

I feel really stupid for asking this but I can't figure it out for the life of me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:47 PM

It would help, truly, if you could give us:

-  model of your old Dell, and OS running on it

-  model of your new Dell, I'm presuming Win10 is on it given you've posted here

-  make/model of your external bluetooth keyboard and whether you were using it via a dongle (generally looks like a very tiny jump drive) or native bluetooth on your old Dell

If your new machine has bluetooth built-in you may not need a dongle if you were using one before.  Pairing the keyboard with the computer will require knowing how to get the keyboard into pairing mode and how we'll need to get the computer into discovery mode.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 techdumdum

techdumdum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for offering your help. I really appreciate it.

My old dell: XPS One 2710 OS win10 pro 64bit

New Dell: Alienware Area 51 R2: OS win 10 Home 64bit

Dell website says the following and keyboard has no dongle new pc has bluetooth. hope this helps.

MODULE, KEYBOARD, MOUSE, UNITED STATES, WIRELESS, W8, SHIP IN BOX
H1D4F
SERVICE CHARGE, SOFTWARE, APPLICATION, RFB, REST OF WORLD, KM713, CHICONY CORP
MK44D
KIT, MOUSE/KEYBOARD COMBO, WIRELESS, UNITED STATES, KM713, WORLD WIDE

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,226 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:06 PM

I do not have Bluetooth on the laptop I'm responding to you from, nor do I have a Bluetooth device handy to pair with it if it did.

However, the following are the general steps you need to take.  You need to look in your old documentation for the computer your Bluetooth keyboard came with to see how one makes it go into pairing mode.  Usually it's a small button somewhere, much like the reset button on a modem-router, sometimes a bit more accessible (you can hit it with a finger rather than needing a pen or bent-open paper clip).

1.  Go to Win10 Settings and either search for "Bluetooth" then choose the "Turn Wireless devices on or off" search result, or you can go directly to the Network & Internet settings and choose Airplane mode on the right.  You should see a screen like the one below, but with Bluetooth showing up along with Wi-Fi, make sure Bluetooth is turned on.

Attached File  Wireless_Device_Settings.jpg   29.14KB   0 downloads

2.  I can't find a screen shot, but it sounds like there is an "Advanced Properties" button or other button that shows up once Bluetooth is enabled that you click and choose, "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer."  This makes the computer discoverable by Bluetooth devices you want to pair with it.

3.  As quickly as you reasonably can, push whatever button, key sequence, or whatever on your Bluetooth keyboard to make it discover and pair with the computer.

4.  Once the pairing occurs the keyboard should work.

Some will work the discovery the opposite way, making the keyboard or other device discoverable and then initiating pairing from the computer.  I always think of the computer as the thing to be discovered and the external device as the thing discovering it and then pairing with it.

I really can't be more specific right now, and perhaps someone with Bluetooth on their computer and a device or devices paired with it can fill in more specifics.

Also, see the following page at Microsoft.  Even though this dates from the Vista era I believe you can get to the same settings via the control panel in Windows 10.  Even if you can't, it gives a reasonable synopsis that includes making the device you want to pair discoverable and then doing the pairing from the computer.

Edited by britechguy, 06 December 2015 - 07:13 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 techdumdum

techdumdum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:25 PM

Thank you so much I'll give it a go.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,226 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:31 PM

Addendum:  In the "there's always more than one, often many more than one, way to do anything in Windows," category I just happened to come across information on the Devices Settings, specifically Connected Devices:

Attached File  Connected_Devices.jpg   39.49KB   0 downloads

Clicking on the "Add device" button initiates a Bluetooth scan for devices in discovery mode, so if you make your keyboard discoverable and then click this button, it should find the keyboard and connect to it.

Edited by britechguy, 06 December 2015 - 08:32 PM.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 techdumdum

techdumdum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:21 PM

I called Dell tech support and it turns out my keyboard is wireless not bluetooth. I guess the wireless receiver thing is built into my old pc. Sorry for wasting your time. :smash:  lol

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,226 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:37 PM

Are you absolutely positive there wasn't a nano dongle in one of the USB ports on your old machine for this keyboard?

All the documentation suggests this has to be the way it was connected and that the nano dongle makes it, essentially, a plug n' play device.

~ Brian Vogel

#9 frox2k6

frox2k6

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:05 AM

I called Dell tech support and it turns out my keyboard is wireless not bluetooth. I guess the wireless receiver thing is built into my old pc. Sorry for wasting your time. :smash:  lol

Dell will do anything to make you spend more money on cheap crap.

There's probably a workaround, flip over your keyboard and tell us the model of it (The serial number or SN: XXXXXXX should be on a sticker near the barcode), we can probably find you a USB adapter you can purchase on eBay or Amazon to receive your old keyboard.

Edited by frox2k6, 07 December 2015 - 07:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users