Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista keyboard not loading

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 tkocur

tkocur

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:16 PM

I am trying to fix my daughter's Dell Inspiron E1705 which doesn't have a keyboard that functions. The computer keyboard, an USB keyboard and a Bluetooth Logitech all don't work. I have also tried a second USB keyboard and a IOGEAR wireless keyboard without any success. The onscreen keyboard is the only way that I can enter any words into the computer.

I have checked all drivers and USB ports with the same results. I tried to run SFC /Scannow but I keep getting the error "There is a system repair pending which requires a reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again". When the system is shut down there is a slight pause saying that the updates have not finished anjd don't turn off the computer. It immediately finishes closing down. When I restart, the same message about finishing updates comes up but it immediately boots up. This happens continuously. I don't know how to finish the install or stop them from continuing. If somebody could tell me how to do this, I should be able to run SFC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:21 PM

Your post showed me that for sure none of us knows it all - I didn't even know I had an on-screen keyboard until your post sent me looking for it !

I think you have two separate problems, one with the keyboard and one with updates. To take the keyboard first.

NOTE - I haven't actually tried this with a keyboard but I know it works for mice and their drivers are at the same low system level so it should work.

Uninstall the keyboard driver(s). Click 'Start - Control panel - System - Device manager (probably in the top left corner)' . In the list of devices you will see an entry for 'Keyboards', expand this and you should see one for 'HID Keyboard Device'. Double click on this to open the 'Properties panel and choose 'Drivers' from the gray panel that opens. Then click 'Uninstall' and follow the prompts. When they have been uninstalled re-boot the computer and Windows should automatically load the keyboard drivers. You should now find that whatever keyboard you have connected is working.

For the updates, I would suggest that you look at 'Updates' in control panel to see if it lists updates which have failed or, for the time being, de-select all updates that may be shown as pending then see if you are still getting these messages when you try a re-boot. If you are, post back. If the message has gone away then you can try installing the updates one at a time until you isolate the one causing the problem and just don't install it. If you have a lot of updates to install, then do them five or ten at a time. This makes finding the one causing the problem much easier to find.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 tkocur

tkocur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:25 PM

Chris:
I tried your suggestion a few times but the keyboard drivers re-attach but do not repair the problem.I thought your idea might have work but unfortunately it did not.

I added a non critical update hoping that while it was being processed, it would complete those that aren't completing. Again no luck. I don't have any updates pending, and a few that generated an error were installed on the next attempt.

I'm not sure what to try next.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,635 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:20 PM

To rule out a hardware issue you can download a live linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu. A smaller download would be Puppy linux which is about 200MB. You can download at the following links.

Mint

Ubuntu

Puppy Tahrpup  tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso

Each of these is an iso you can burn on a Windows 7 computer by right clicking the iso and selecting Burn Disk Image. Puppy can be burned to a CD. Ubuntu and Mint to DVDs. Or, you can use a USB flash drive and a program called Rufus. This will create a bootable USB flash drive. When running Rufus make sure your USB flash drive is listed. Select MBR for a partition scheme. Keep Quick Format checked. Where FreeDos is listed select iso image. Click the folder icon and browse to the iso file you downloaded. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as it will be formatted.

Attach the flash drive and tap F12 when powering on the computer. Select the USB flash drive in the Boot Menu. At the desktop of the linux distro see if you can use your keyboard. If you still have no keyboard then there are hardware issues with the laptop.

Nothing will be written to disk. All the above will run from RAM and the disk or flash drive. Just a reminder. Vista will no longer be supported with Security Updates after April 2017. I would recommend you look at Mint and Ubuntu and see which will meet your needs. Most programs in Windows has a linux equivalent.

#5 tkocur

tkocur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:03 PM

John,

I was a little gun shy about doing this because it's above my pay grade. Finally got my nerve and finished it. The keyboards work in Linux. So I guess this means I have a Windows Vista problem. What do I do next? The most that I have accomplished since I started on this problem. Thanks.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,635 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:37 PM

To fix the repair loop, boot up into linux. Open your Windows partition folder and look for the Windows/Winsxs. In that folder for two files with xml extensions.

cleanup.xml

pending.xml

Right click each of these files and only those files. Select Delete. Exit linux and reboot. Which linux distro did you download? If Puppy your Windows partition may be listed as sda3.

Does deleting the files fix the reboot issue?

#7 tkocur

tkocur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:00 AM

John,

Here is the update for my keyboard problem. I made an usb drive using the Mint Linux. I booted up using the Mint and I only found 1 CLEANUP.XML file which I deleted. There weren't any PENDING.XML files. I rebooted into Vista and I still have my problem of no keyboard. I was able to run SFC /Scannow and it didn't find anything wrong with my files. The problem with the reboot is gone. Why? I'm not sure, that is probably why I was able to run the Sfc utility. I also ran a chkdsk /f /r on a boot up. It ran without any problems.

I don't have a Vista repair disk, so I won't be able to run the repair function. Any advice would be appreciated.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,635 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:51 AM

Download USBdeview. Detach your USB keyboard. In the listing and delete any keyboard, or other devices such as USB flash and external drivers. Highlight the device and press the red X. Do not delete anything such as bluetooth, network, printer, or mouse devices. Reboot the computer and attach the keyboard. 

#9 tkocur

tkocur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:36 PM

The routine of erasing the keyboard in the device manager didn't provide the results that I was expecting. On the boot up after the erase, I receive the message that a driver was found and installed. It was the ps/2 keyboard. It shows up in the device manager but doesn't work.

The Usbdeview shows that there is only i usb connected. When I plugged in a flash drive, it wasshown as connected. The Usb port that was originally connected was not now.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,635 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:32 PM

I am not sure how removing USB drivers would affect the ps2 keyboard. Some people report results by deleting the USB Hub Controllers in Device Manager and then rebooting. Other than that, I am out of ideas as you do not have a Vista Install disk.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00820197   

The above is HP but the same procedure is used for Dell. 

Depending on what you daughter uses the computer for, I would say have her use the live linux disk and see how she likes it. If it's Puppy, I would recommend doing a permanent install of Mint or Ubuntu.

#11 tkocur

tkocur
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2015 - 03:16 AM

Yhanks for all your help,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users