Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

A question of curiosity.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:15 PM

Hi everyone,

So my new Linux dual-boot install (Mint 17.2 & XP) has been running great for over 2 weeks now, and I am really enjoying it. Lot's of new things to learn but that will come with time. Anyway, my question is simply a matter of curiosity:

I have never seen it, nor do I ever want to see it, but when Linux crashes, what does it look like? Does a “blue screen” appear as in Windows, does it just freeze, does everything just stop? Also, does a log get created to explain the (possible) problem?

I'm in no hurry for the answer so please help the others who have actual problems.

Thanks everyone!  :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

• Members
  • 2,506 posts
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

Well there are kernel panics, they work in the same fashion as windows bluescreens and like windows bluescreens occur for various reasons.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

#3 myrti

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,716 posts
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

usually you'll just that everything is frozen and you can't get any response from keyboard or mouse. It's either the x-server(GUI manager) that died or the kernel itself.. Usually a hard reboot will be necessary

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:34 AM

If it's just a program that freezes and not the whole system:

Ctrl + Alt + t  (Terminal opens)

Type xkill + enter and click on the offending window/program

#5 MalwareMutilator

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:17 AM

Many thanks to everyone for the information.  Other than the issue of getting my printer installed, which is now corrected, 17.2 seems to be rock solid.

Thanks again.  :)

#6 mremski

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:41 AM

If the Xserver (GUI) freezes, try doing:

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace  (typically bound to "kill the X server" action)

Ctrl-Alt-F[1-12]  (that's F1 through F12)  This will try to switch to another virtual console to try and debug

Kernel panics are pretty distinct :)

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#7 wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:52 PM

Hi MalwareMutilator

Well there are kernel panics, they work in the same fashion as windows bluescreens and like windows bluescreens occur for various reasons.

Although you have been with "The Firm" (BC) since 2007, I am guessing your activities have been mostly with other OSes.

The article MadmanRB refers to gives a broad picture of kernel panic, and possibilities with which to address, however the following should be noted:

Terminal commands in Arch differ to what you would use under a Linux Mint environment.

Package Managers used under Linux include:

• pacman

for Arch and its family;

• apt-get

for Debian-based Distros including Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Zorin &c

• yum

for RPM-based Distros. These derived from Red Hat Linux, and include Fedora, OpenSUSE, Mageia, &c.

Under Arch, I believe

is used more commonly than xkill.

Under Debian-based Distros, xkill should be part of a package called "x11-utils". You can tell if that is installed by going to Terminal and typing and entering (sudo not required)

man xkill

Hope this is not too confusing.

Enjoy Linux, I do

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW MalwareMutilator - when you get time, you may wish to update your profile with details of your environment. Click my avatar and see my signature and you will get what I mean. This will enable us to fine-tune advice for you to more closely reflect your circumstances. Cheers.

#8 pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,400 posts
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:37 PM

Let's get that Distro in you Signature lol, Cinnamon right, or is it still Mate?

Go to your User Name in Upper Right drop-down > Choose "Profile" > Black button Upper to Mid Right hand side says "Edit my Profile" > On Left you will see "Signature" click on that and scroll down just a little to use “Editor”.

pcpunk out!

Edited by pcpunk, 07 December 2015 - 08:05 PM.

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users