Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A question of curiosity.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:15 PM

Hi everyone,

So my new Linux dual-boot install (Mint 17.2 & XP) has been running great for over 2 weeks now, and I am really enjoying it. Lot's of new things to learn but that will come with time. Anyway, my question is simply a matter of curiosity:

I have never seen it, nor do I ever want to see it, but when Linux crashes, what does it look like? Does a “blue screen” appear as in Windows, does it just freeze, does everything just stop? Also, does a log get created to explain the (possible) problem?

I'm in no hurry for the answer so please help the others who have actual problems.

Thanks everyone!  :thumbup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:04 PM

Well there are kernel panics, they work in the same fashion as windows bluescreens and like windows bluescreens occur for various reasons.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_Panics

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

Hi,

usually you'll just that everything is frozen and you can't get any response from keyboard or mouse. It's either the x-server(GUI manager) that died or the kernel itself.. Usually a hard reboot will be necessary

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:34 AM

If it's just a program that freezes and not the whole system:

Ctrl + Alt + t  (Terminal opens)

Type xkill + enter and click on the offending window/program

Greets!

#5 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:17 AM

Many thanks to everyone for the information.  Other than the issue of getting my printer installed, which is now corrected, 17.2 seems to be rock solid.

Thanks again.  :)

#6 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:41 AM

If the Xserver (GUI) freezes, try doing:

Ctrl-Alt-Backspace  (typically bound to "kill the X server" action)

or

Ctrl-Alt-F[1-12]  (that's F1 through F12)  This will try to switch to another virtual console to try and debug

Kernel panics are pretty distinct :)

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:52 PM

Hi MalwareMutilator

Well there are kernel panics, they work in the same fashion as windows bluescreens and like windows bluescreens occur for various reasons.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kernel_Panics

Although you have been with "The Firm" (BC) since 2007, I am guessing your activities have been mostly with other OSes.

The article MadmanRB refers to gives a broad picture of kernel panic, and possibilities with which to address, however the following should be noted:

Terminal commands in Arch differ to what you would use under a Linux Mint environment.

Package Managers used under Linux include:

• pacman

for Arch and its family;

• apt-get

for Debian-based Distros including Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Zorin &c

• yum

for RPM-based Distros. These derived from Red Hat Linux, and include Fedora, OpenSUSE, Mageia, &c.

Under Arch, I believe

xorg-xkill

is used more commonly than xkill.

Under Debian-based Distros, xkill should be part of a package called "x11-utils". You can tell if that is installed by going to Terminal and typing and entering (sudo not required)

man xkill

Hope this is not too confusing.

Enjoy Linux, I do

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW MalwareMutilator - when you get time, you may wish to update your profile with details of your environment. Click my avatar and see my signature and you will get what I mean. This will enable us to fine-tune advice for you to more closely reflect your circumstances. Cheers.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:37 PM

Let's get that Distro in you Signature lol, Cinnamon right, or is it still Mate?

Go to your User Name in Upper Right drop-down > Choose "Profile" > Black button Upper to Mid Right hand side says "Edit my Profile" > On Left you will see "Signature" click on that and scroll down just a little to use “Editor”.

pcpunk out!

Edited by pcpunk, 07 December 2015 - 08:05 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users