Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't start up my lap top

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 suepilarsky

suepilarsky

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:45 PM

Everytime I turn on my lap top it asks for a password other that my own.  It was hijacked my something claiming to be microsoft.  Then some one called me claiming to be microsoft and wanted money to fix my laptop.  Help

Edited by hamluis, 07 December 2015 - 05:35 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Asbowl2468

Asbowl2468

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:44 PM

Hi

This might help you :)
http://www.howtogeek.com/96630/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-windows-password-the-easy-way/

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

Everytime I turn on my lap top it asks for a password other that my own.  It was hijacked my something claiming to be microsoft.  Then some one called me claiming to be microsoft and wanted money to fix my laptop.  Help

You need to re post in Am I Infected you will get good help there.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 GoFigure

GoFigure

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:48 PM

I don't believe the two are associate.  The phone call is a widespread scam that has been occurring for several years.  What is the username associated with the password it is asking for or is the request appearing before windows loads?

#5 Vision123

Vision123

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:29 PM

yep as GoFigure said we need to know more in order to help you, is it a user password ? or a BIOS password ?

A BIOS password is authentication information that is sometimes required to log into a computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) before the machine will boot up.

either way you can by-pass it.

if its a user password login to ur pc in safemode and change the user password.
if its a BIOS password remove the CMOS battery for few minutes then replace it and boom the password is gone

#6 ohspecial1

ohspecial1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:15 PM

I have done laptops along time and i have seen the fake FBI and police Start up

But never nothing that has changed a password

And what password

Best bet is get into safe mode if you can

Seems like you have whats called a fake virus and is a pain to sort

But unsure on the password

If you can get into safe mode there is an account called adminstrator you should be able to get into this

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:34 PM

Topic moved to Gen Security.

Louis

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:24 PM

Unsolicited phone calls (aka Tech Support Scamming) from "so-called Support Techs" advising your computer is infected with malware has become an increasing common and prolific scam tactic over the past several years.

In the majority of these cases the scammers use social engineering to trick a victim into spending money for unnecessary technical support or to buy an application which claims to remove malware. In other cases the caller pretends to provide free security checks or direct the download and use of a bogus registry cleaner which purports to find thousands of problems, then offer to fix the computer for a fee. If the victim agrees, the support usually costs hundreds of dollars and often leaves the victim's computer unchanged or intentionally infected with dangerous malware.

Another scam tactic involves tricking their victims into believing that their computer is infected by having them look at a Windows log that shows dozens of harmless or low-level error entries. The scammer instructs their victim to type "eventvwr" in the RUN box to open Windows Event Viewer and points out all the warnings and error messages listed under the various Event Viewer categories. The scammer then attempts to scare their victims into giving them remote access to the computer in order to fix it and remove malware. More nefarious scammers will install a backdoor Trojan or Remote Access Trojan in order to steal passwords and other sensitive personal information which could then be used to access bank accounts or steal a person's identity.The caller may claim to be an employee affiliated with Microsoft or Windows Support. However, there have been reports of scammers claiming to be affiliated with major computer manufacturers such as Hewlett Packard, Lenovo and Dell or familiar security vendors like Symantec, Panda and McAfee.

img_52e1a9d429e36.jpg

Microsoft does not make unsolicited phone calls or send unsolicited email messages to request personal or financial information or to fix your computer.Not answering any questions and hanging up the telephone is the best way to deal with phone scammers...then report them to the appropriate authorities.

“This is Microsoft Support” telephone scam – Computer ransom lockout
syskey.png

See these related topics for other suggestions:
* This computer is configured to require a password in order to start up
* Remove a startup password before account screen

If using Windows 8/8.1, you can refer to the instructions (methods 4-6 or Shift+F8) in How To Access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 8 or 8.1

Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), the site owner of Bleeping Computer created the following guide for dealing with some types of ransomware infections using HitmanPro to create a HitmanPro kickstart USB drive: Your computer has been locked Ransomware Removal Guide using HitmanPro.KickstartWhen you can access your computer and want a comprehensive look at your system for possible malware, you should start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users