Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender off at startup this morning. Won't turn on.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:36 AM

When I started up this morning, a bubble message popped up that Windows Defender is turned off.  When I turn it on, it is immediately turned off.  I was using Bitdefender Internet Security until last week.  When Microsoft pushed me into updating to 10, it removed / turned off Bitdefender and switched to Windows Defender.

I tried to run Malwarebytes (have the paid version), but it refuses to open.

Ran current version of TDSS Killer and and scan found no threats.

What do I do?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,258 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:00 PM

You can roll back to your previous Windows OS....you have 31 days to do that.

Have you installed any programs or browser add-ons since Windows 10 was installed? Have you used a p2p program such as uTorrent?

Change your mind about Windows 10? Here's how you can roll back - CNET

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:12 PM

I'd rather not roll back.  Going to have to go 10 sometime anyway.  Everything has been fine with 10 until this morning.

No, have added no new programs since updating.

No, no p2p at all.

#4 hena

hena

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:21 PM

Uhm, Try using MBAM chameleon... That might work, because malware might disable MBAM, but not MBAM Chameleon.

#5 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:39 PM

Chameleon ran without issue.  Full scan found no issues.

? ?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,258 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

A reinstall of MBAM premium is probably what is necessary. Instructions for doing that in link below.

MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2 - Frequently Asked Questions - Malwarebytes Forum

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:48 PM

Before an MBAM reinstall (and I do have the ID and KEY here), what more can I do about the Windows Defender issue - and its refusing to enable?  I'm concerned about doing a restart before doing everything possible there?  A computer with an issue sometimes has much more serious issues after a restart if the problem wasn't dealt with sufficiently first?

The MBAM scan came out clean, but I still have a problem of unknown origin and threat level?

Please advise.

Thank you.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,258 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:59 PM

Repair may be possible for WD....check out the info in link below.

Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10 - Microsoft Community

My thought is that malware is not the problem...instead I think things got broken during the upgrade.

If you think otherwise then please start a new topic in the Malware Removal Forum.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Team Members.

#9 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:20 PM

I am inclined to agree that I am not infected, but that a couple of things have broken after the Windows 10 upgrade.  The issues took a couple of weeks to show up (?), but Malwarebytes Chameleon found nothing on a full scan.  I also downloaded and ran the Microsoft Security Scanner.  Those downloads are only functional for a week, so should represent about the best available scanning.?  I ran the full scan with that and came up clean.

Before addressing the Malwarebytes uninstall / reinstall, I'm wondering if maybe fixing Windows Defender first might be better.  What is the best solution for that?  Today's restart went fine, but Defender turns itself off as fast as I turn it on.  I was a little irritated the the update to 10 gave Bitdefender the boot and made Windows Defender default.  Even less happy about that know, but it needs to be dealt with so that I don't get infected while vulnerable.

Thank you.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,258 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:56 PM

Is Bit Defender or any other antivirus program listed in your list of installed programs? If so, please uninstall. According to what I have seen on the

web Windows Defender will not activate if another antivirus program is detected.

See info in this link for uninstall instructions for Bit Defender in Windows 10....How to install Bitdefender 2015 on Windows 10 with the offline installation kit?

#11 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:50 AM

When Microsoft updated to 10, a message popped up that Bitdefender was being removed.  Overly aggressive, IMO.  Anyway, it apparently removed part of Bitdefender, but there was still a Folder full of Bitdefender files.

I ran the uninstall tool.  This takes quite a while, BTW, and it looks a lot like it is looping in unsuccessful attempts.  I was pretty close to closing it out when it did actually finish.  After a restart, Windows Defender is functioning.

So I guess the next question is whether Windows Defender is considered adequate these days or if should install the latest version of Bitdefender, or change to something else.

After settling on the first line of defense, then I guess it will be time to reinstall Malwarebytes, which remains non-functional except when accessing Chameleon.

When Defender was fixed, it wanted to allow some updates, which I did.  No problems, except HP wants me to run the installation CD for the printer.  Over the years, HP has been nothing but trouble with their software, so my inclination is not to do anything with that as long as the printer seems to have no issues.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:12 AM

I'm not a fan of in place upgrades. Even Linux distros do that. I've had problems when in the past allowing my Linux distro to upgrade. Always end up

doing a clean install.

You'll have to decide whether you want to use WD or Bit Defender...not both....Upgrading Bitdefender after installing Windows 10

Yes, I think the quickest and surest way to get MBAM functioning again is to uninstall it and then reinstall.

MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2 - Frequently Asked Questions - Malwarebytes Forum

I wouldn't use any old HP printer install CD....if I were going to do anything I would check with HP for the latest drivers to be used in Windows 10.

Of course, if you are satisfied with how the printer functions....there may be no need to do that and you have chosen not to.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:42 PM

You may want to read this topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif