Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is turning off system restore point advisable?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Susanne03

Susanne03

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:26 AM

Hi. I had another one of my many problems with my laptop. Free spaces do not increase when I delete files. So I was told to turn off system restore. I did and the previous restore points were deleted. I freed some space and went back to command prompt to know how much the real free space I had was. I discovered I had more even after turning off system restore. Was turning off system restore the smart thing to do and how do I get my real free space to show ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DefaultGateway

DefaultGateway

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:05 AM

If you press the "Windows Button" and "E" simultaneously, a new window called "This PC" will be opened.

There, you can see how much space you have.

Turning off "System Restore" is not advisable, because if your computer system encounter some problems, then you will not have an option to roll back in time.

What you can do is, at the point, you are sure that your computer system is working fine without issues, you can decide to delete all of the restore points. Or you can decide to keep the most recent one, and delete the older ones.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:18 AM

System Restore is part of the Windows operating system, as such you should not be able to delete it.  You can delete restore points though, this would free up more disk space.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

================

Use the disk cleanup tool, this will remove files you no longer use or are no longer of use.

Open the Search charm and type in disk cleanup.  Disk cleanup will appear below the search box, click/tap on it.

When the Disk Cleanup opens select the drive you want to clean (the C: drive usually contains the operating system, this would be the drive you want to select).  In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, click on Clean up system files.

================

Remove you temp files.

Please download Temp File Cleaner by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.

1. Save any unsaved work. (TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!)

2. Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. 

3. Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.

tempfilecleaner1_zpsaaf9e118.png

4.  After Temp Flie Cleaner has run, click on Exit.

tempfilecleaner2_zpsdffa9226.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:49 PM

If you desperately need the disk space or slight speed increase that could be gained by turning off system restore then you could safely turn it off, from the options within control panel, IF you have system images on external drives.

System restore acts to enable you to roll back certain files on a system (just the files used by the OS, not all the other program files and certainly not your personal files) to a previous state, it isn't all that reliable (many problems exists whch cannot be recovered from by using system restore to return to an earlier state) but it's helpful to have.

Users should make sure to make system images on external devices http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/#manual as a backup of their operating system, these can be made with a tool internal to windows and with third party tools like macrium, ideally a user would have some system images made with each (a few made with windows internal and a few made with macrium). A system image is a full backup of all your system files and program files, it also acts as a backup of personal files in some cases (if your personal files are on the same C:\ disc partition as your operating system and program files), system images are very reliable. You should make one immediately, you never know when you might need it, but you'll be glad of one when you do.

Having a system image will ensure that if something goes wrong with your system you can return to the state it was in when the image was made, ideally you would have made the image at a time when everything was running perfectly, a time when all your programs you like were installed, when all your system settings were as you prefer them and when you were certain you were not infected with any kind of malware.

If you have some images made on external storage devices, several images, some of them more recent than the last time you made a significant change for the better to your system (like a tricky to do settings change for the better, or the installation of a program you now use regularly...) then you can turn off system restore IF you really need to, if you don't have images made then turning off system restore would be incredibly dangerous, if you have images made but no recent ones then you could still recover your system if something went wrong but you would need to, after restoring from the image, redo all the changes you made between when you made the image and how the system was just before problems began.

Also make sure to backup personal files (meaning all your documents, pictures, video files, audio files, zip archives...and browser bookmarks) separately, just copy them to USBsticks/DVD discs/CD-RW discs/external harddrives/the cloud, making sure that every file is stored in atleast three different storage devices.

Edited by rp88, 06 December 2015 - 02:49 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 Susanne03

Susanne03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:51 PM

When checking what free space I have left is it normal to find two different results.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 09 December 2015 - 10:01 AM

Please do what I requested.

Where are you seeing different results?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users