Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battery not charging?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Willabong

Willabong

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 08:01 AM

HP Pavilion i5 notebook 64 bit with 16 gig of ram.

Some time ago I posted about the battery not charging in Windows 10? It worked perfectly in Windows 8.1 before installing W10. The power supply is working when running on power.

Plugging the power lead into the laptop shows the yellow charging indicator light for about 3 seconds, then it changes to a blue on power light. The battery power has gradually decreased from full charge down to zero over the last few weeks. Windows 10 settings show that the battery is not being charged.

I have no reason to believe that the battery is defective as even a defective battery will charge a little, and the charging light on the laptop will still come on?

There seems to be a problem with Windows 10 not the battery? Somehow it is not allowing/recognising the need to charge?

Has anyone else had this problem, and do they know how to fix it please?

Edited by Willabong, 06 December 2015 - 08:04 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:55 AM

Lot's of suggestions here:  https://www.google.com/search?q=hp+windows+10+battery+not+charging&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Willabong

Willabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:33 PM

Thanks so much usasma!  One of your links may have solved the problem which many other people are experiencing, so here is the solution:

The power adapter laptop plug end has a tiny pin inside the part of the plug you push into the laptop to provide power. This tiny pin fits inside the much bigger pin inside the laptops power socket. So when you push the power supply plug end into the laptop power supply socket, this tiny pin must fit inside the larger pin which has a small hole in it.

The problem with the laptop not charging is that the plug end pin can very easily get bent so that it does not fit inside the other pin, and after some time may even get broken off (it has with mine!), when that happens the power supply will power the laptop, but will not charge the battery. 

HP are to blame for making such a flimsy power system. Anyway it's off to the computer store to buy another!

Edited by Willabong, 07 December 2015 - 01:34 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 06:54 AM

I'm glad to hear that you've solved it!

Thanks for letting us know - it'll help others who come looking for help with similar problems.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users