Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't turn on!!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 seanppp

seanppp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:09 AM

Hi,

For a month or two my computer has been telling me that my battery needs to be replaced. It's been depleting faster and faster and eventually I had to keep the laptop plugged in to use it at all. Now, it won't start even with the plug in (with the battery in or out). What to do?!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:30 AM

Nothing you can do, but buy a new battery.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:39 AM

What is the make and model of this laptop?

The power adapter is the primary power source for a laptop, the battery is considered to be a backup power source.  When the power adapter is plugged in the battery can be charged, but the power adapter is providing the power to run the laptop.  The laptop should be able to run with the adapter only with the battery removed.

If you are not getting any power with the adapter connected I would suggest using a volt meter to see what the output of the adapter is producing.  If you look on the adapter you will find the output DC voltage.

You should also make sure that the receptacle you are plugged into is carrying line voltage.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 leafwarbler

leafwarbler

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:40 AM

It seems you need change a new battery!

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:46 AM

What dc3 has said is true. There could be dmg to the adapter and it's not charging the battery. However, I have come across some laptops over the years that wouldn't run on wall-wart unless the battery was in the system and had a charge. Goofy I know.

#6 marilynfigueroa

marilynfigueroa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:33 AM

Check your battery

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2015 - 10:21 AM

You guys are missing the point here.  They need to ascertain whether the power adapter is working or not.  How would you guys feel if they went out and spent money on a new battery only to find out it was the adapter that has failed?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:02 AM

I would have to strongly agree with dc3. He Knows his stuff as do I. He has a valid point. I have on numerous occasions helping other clients where the adapter was broken. In the center of the power adapter lead is a inner/outer barrel connector and a center pin. The pin tells the bios which watts etc the adapter is. If this pin is broken the bios will not charge the battery. It's a safety feature to keep the lithium ion battery from charging to fast etc & from exploiding causing fire. There could also be internal dmg to the adapter. Sometimes they fall and hit the hardwood floor one to many times and the coils inside literally get broken off the inside circuit board. If it rattles inside then it's broken. You need a new one. Ports do get damage over time on the laptops as well. In my first post I should have mentioned it. From the information given it sounded like the battery was worsening over time taking less charge at each time it was charged. If that is the case then it is likely the battery that is nearing it's end of life. No charging battery is a battery issue. However, it is also very good indication that there is a problem with the power adapter or broken power port. I have delt with piles of laptops with broken power ports. I've replaced power ports on my own laptop twice. They do wear out eventually. I work it like a war horse because it's my main device I use in the field.

Edited by technonymous, 11 December 2015 - 12:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users