Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Download Hjt..have Clicksearchclick & Spyware, Help!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 totebag

totebag

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:59 PM

My regular computer is got struck by lightening & is getting serviced by dell.

I noticed my old computer is running very slow, the homepage keep changing to clicksearchclick, an I know it has some type of spyware on it, the pc isn't acting right.

I tried to download hjt. Everytime I try to run it i get a "invalied picture error". The pc has windows 98 on it. Any suggestions on how to clean this oldy up? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:32 PM

For starters, try going to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel and remove the following if present:

Security IGuard
Virtual Maid
Search Maid

Also, remove temporary files. Go to Start -> Run and type in:

%temp%

. . . and hit enter. That will bring up a temp folder. Go to View and then choose Folder Options, then the View tab and under "Hidden Files," click the radio button for show all files.

Select all the files in the folder (ctrl-a) and press the delete key. Answer yes. It's possible that some files are in use and will not delete - in that case, use the ctrl key to deselect each single file that won't delete and keep doing that until you've delete all you can.

Now, try again to download HijackThis!

You might also try to stop some running processes, but in the case of this Bad Boy, they can be hard to know which to delete.

You might see SVCHOST.EXE, Demo.exe, and security.exe. I'm not sure which operating system you're running, but ME or 98 won't be likely to have any of them as normal processes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users