Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Command Processor appears in Norton tasklist

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AndyKay

AndyKay

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:28 AM

HP Pavilion g6 laptop purchased with Windows8 now upgraded to Windows10.

Norton Startup Manager lists "Windows Command Processor", and when I deselect it, it re-selects when I click on APPLY.

I updated to Win10 version 1511-10586 and "Windows Command Processor" now appears TWICE in the Norton Startup list.

Windows Task Manager does not show this task in the Startup list, and there are no symptoms that I am able to discern*, but I was wondering if it was some kind of infection and possibly a rootkit.

I ran a full scan with Norton to no effect, and then used Norton Power Eraser to no effect.

Scanned with Malwarebytes and with Farbar, no objects found.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

*(Edit: Since upgrading to Win10 I have occasionally been getting an error message saying "Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered". I don't know if this is relevant.)

Edited by AndyKay, 06 December 2015 - 03:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:05 AM

Ok I am confused about you saying, "Norton Startup list" do you mean firewall? If there is two entries in there one is the old version and other is the new version that came with 1511 update. So you just delete the older entry. You can go through the list and check other things I am sure there are more. You can remove them all if you want Norton will just start rebuilding a new firewall rule.

#3 AndyKay

AndyKay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:16 AM

Thank you for your interest in my problem technonymous.

Norton Internet Security, on selecting "Performance", permits a view of the Startup Manager in order to "Improve the startup time of the computer by managing which applications start automatically when the computer is turned on". Tasks in the startup list may be turned off or their instantiation may be delayed on startup.

This list is identical to the list given in the Windows Task Manager, except when viewed in Norton I have the two additional cases of Windows Command Processor that cannot be turned off or delayed.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:32 AM

Ok I understand now. I would go ahead and remove both those. Have you had a problem with malware in the past?

#5 AndyKay

AndyKay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:02 AM

There is no option to remove these tasks from the Norton list.

They both seem to run the same file -- C:/Windows/SysWOW64/cmd.exe

I'm not aware of having had any malware problems in the past.

Apologies if I'm getting terminology and/or technical references wrong -- I'm on a steep learning curve here.

Edited by AndyKay, 06 December 2015 - 05:03 AM.

#6 AndyKay

AndyKay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:36 PM

@technonymous

I've just restarted my laptop to get the first update after the recent major update to Win10 version 1511-10586.

Windows Command Processor no longer appears in the Norton Startup Manager.

Looks like it was a false alarm -- sincere apologies and thanks again for your interest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users