Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 update to a 16Gb tablet, how?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Lostedge

Lostedge

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:54 AM

Device is Wisky, 3G062I

Windows 8.1 with Bing
7.85" IPS 2K (2048x1536) with Multi-Touch Screen
Intel® Bay Trail-T Quad Core Z3735 1.33 GHz Processor
2GB RAM
16GB HD
WLAN: 802.11 b/g/n @2.4GHz
3G-modem

1x Micro USB

It has 3 partitions, 4GB recovery drive and 100Mt EFI. After deleting everything that is humanly possible, disabling hibernation and virtual memory, I get around 6.1GB free space. I also have a 32GB microSD connected.

When I try to install w10 update, it tell me that I need 10GB free space for installation, and lets me extract the install files to microSD. The installation goes fine until 15% and when it is copying files 50%. After this it starts installing the old windows. I presume the problem is with the tablet not having enough space :(

I could try to do a clean install and format the tablet, but then I would need a W10 serial key, and of course if everything did not go smooth. I would be bleeped.  

Edited by Lostedge, 06 December 2015 - 01:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:23 AM

Yeah, I can see this being an issue with devices that just don't have enough space. MSFT with their infinite wisdom didn't really take that into account. Have you tried doing a hd cleanup? Also, go to folder options and turn off hidden system files and check if hiberfil.sys is under C:\ That hibernation file can take up a large chunk of hd space.

Edited by technonymous, 06 December 2015 - 03:23 AM.

#3 Lostedge

Lostedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 07:24 AM

Yeah, I can see this being an issue with devices that just don't have enough space. MSFT with their infinite wisdom didn't really take that into account. Have you tried doing a hd cleanup? Also, go to folder options and turn off hidden system files and check if hiberfil.sys is under C:\ That hibernation file can take up a large chunk of hd space.

Yeah, I removed hiberfil.sys and pagefile. Only way to get more space would be probably to do clean install without installing any updates, and then doing all the same cleaning again. I don`t think I could get even 7GB free space by doing this though. 

Edited by Lostedge, 06 December 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:35 AM

The Important Notes section of this link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

suggests that you may be able to use a flash drive for additional storage while installing the update.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:39 AM

If you don't actually turn off hibernation that hiberfil.sys will come back on reboot. So you want to run a cmd as administrator and type powercfg -h off. That turns off hibernation and hiberfil.sys is deleted. One of my pc's had a 6G hiberfil.sys. I don't really use hibernation.

#6 Lostedge

Lostedge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:09 AM

This was solved. You need to use windows 10 update tool and create a mikroSD installation media. You also need 6.1GT free space on your C: to install it. Also the mikroSD needs to be atleast 16GB. 

#7 Warsuperior

Warsuperior

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:41 PM

I tried to update win 8.1 to win10 by windows own "update logo" and it asked to use SD card. my card is 64GB kingston and my tablet supports it.

Well after good 12 hours of installing, at morning i woke up and it was stalled in 95% and had error "please insert external media and press ok" well I pressed ok, didnt continue. Then I removed SD card and put back in, then it said "not enough room" or something and started to revert itself back to win 8.1 bing
Well again after about 8 hours it didnt do anything and same error came out.

Now the whole tablet only boots up, shows wisky logo and some cmd screen flashes (no way to see what it is) and then the same error comes back.
Basically update destroyed OS so what do I do now? Can someone instruct me how to reinstall whole thing to this tablet or how to revert back to the win 8.1 bing? from SD card or usb(i just have to get microusb to usb converter first)

Wisky 3G068i 9,7" w8.1bing
2gb ram
16gb harddrive
microSD port where I have 64Gb brand new Kingston class10(it works even it says on specs 32gb is biggest)
3.5mm port and micro HDMI port.

#8 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:47 AM

You will need to use the compact command-line util to reduce w10 footprint on disk.

compact /compactos:query...

If not compressed -> compact /compactos:always

After that...

compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress16k "c:\windows\assembly"\*

compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress16k "c:\windows\inf"\*

compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress16k "c:\windows\infused apps"\*

compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress16k "c:\windows\installer"\*

compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress16k "c:\windows\fonts"\*

compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress16k "c:\Program files\*

compact /c /a /i /s /exe:xpress16k "c:\Program files (x86)\*

PS . My full fledged w10 installation (with a lot of software, firefox, photoshop, etc) is taking up about 18GB of disk space.

PS2. I forgot to say that compact is a command-line util that needs to be invoked from an elevated command prompt (cmd.exe)

Edited by eLPuSHeR, 28 April 2016 - 05:50 AM.

#9 Warsuperior

Warsuperior

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:14 AM

Hey, thanks for info but problem at the moment is that I cannot get to windows. it stops on that error "...external media..."
I can get it to boot to say "dxn mode, waiting for fastboot command" but I dont know what to do with it?

#10 eSkoli

eSkoli

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 03:34 AM

This is a question to "Warsuperior".

Hello Warsuperior,

Did you find solution to your Wisky problem? I am asking this since I have the same problem with my Wisky tablet.

#11 Warsuperior

Warsuperior

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2016 - 09:06 AM

This is a question to "Warsuperior".

Hello Warsuperior,

Did you find solution to your Wisky problem? I am asking this since I have the same problem with my Wisky tablet.

Hello and yes I did.
I got myself USB-on-the-go cable (it must be exactly that type) that had normal usb female connector. I plugged in USB-hub and to it, keyboard, mouse etc

Then I hit del/esc on boot and got it to bios. on bios I checked where to boot (also had a usb windows install stick on hub) and save and out, then it booted from stick and installed win10 right away.
Some drivers are missing still like both cameras and 1 more which i dont know what it is, something pci I think but I installed propable driver and it messed all up so had to do win 10 install again.
I shrinked also the win 10 as much as possible and bought 64Gb card to it.
It works fine with win10, I think its even more faster than win 8.1 that I had before.

You can also put on bios the "show post message" or something so it shows you the buttons to what push to get into bios.
The key to all this was the usb on the go cable, it differs bit from normal usb cable cus it allows usb item act as host.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

I hope you find help from this.

Edited by Warsuperior, 05 October 2016 - 09:08 AM.

#12 eSkoli

eSkoli

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:47 AM

Thanks Warsuperior!

The OTG cable/hub I already have. I will get the USB keyboard in few days. Then I follow your instructions.

Many thanks once more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users