Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having literal computer bugs (not for those who are squeamish)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:07 AM

Okay so the apartment I live in has a huge and I mean huge roach problem, this is winter time so they are looking for places that are warm and dark to breed in.

They already killed my printer, I had to buy a new one and soon you can bet the little bastards will go in that one too.

And they taken up residence in my desktop as well

Its not like we are not doing our bit but the complex I live in doesnt fumigate and its a old building.

I can only do so much, I dont want to put spray in my hardware and dont know what to do to get rid of them from my hardware outside of buying one of those power air dusters and go to war on the motherbleepers.

I am thinking of putting a trap in my desktop, will that work?

I got room for it but there are risks to doing such things,

Edited by hamluis, 07 December 2015 - 07:12 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:41 AM

Set off a "bug bomb" every 3 months.

Haven't seen any bugs recently?  Don't think you need it?  Do It anyway.

I live in South Florida, the bug capitol of the world.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:47 AM

Ok that's really gross. lol Not that it's your fault. I would take the pc outside and blast the hell out of it. Borax is deadly to bugs and they take it back to hives. Put a perimeter of borax around your computer & other places so they track it. I Googled a recipe...

Make Your Own Roach Bait. Recipe: Mix 1 cup borax powder, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup minced onion, 1 tablespoon cornstarch, and 1 tablespoon water. Make a paste out of the mixture, and roll it into little balls. Put 2 or 3 of the balls into a little plastic sandwich baggie, and leave the baggie open.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:02 PM

That's a good recipe for roach powder.  I lived in Hawaii in the early 70's and roaches the size of small rats was normal.  We kept them out of our homes first by using bag type vacuums to suck'em up and kill them.  Then a white liquid made the same way, mostly borax powder, was applied on all window sills, door sills, anywhere they can get in.  The roaches pick it up on their feet , take it back to the nest and kills them all.  Four years, roach free.  They will get into everything, love the dark and wet.  Some have even developed a taste for the plastic coating on electrical wiring.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 12:37 AM

I just serviced my PC, Clean heat sink, new thermal paste, clean fan blades that sort of thing, but before I put the side back on I used an old rag with some pest control stuff on it to gently wipe as much of the inside of the case as I could, Then I put the side back on and used the same rag to wipe the outside of the case, I also sprayed the little hutch in my desk including the underside.

NOTICE.

Please use heavy duty rubber gloves to do this.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:49 AM

That's a good recipe for roach powder.  I lived in Hawaii in the early 70's and roaches the size of small rats was normal.  We kept them out of our homes first by using bag type vacuums to suck'em up and kill them.  Then a white liquid made the same way, mostly borax powder, was applied on all window sills, door sills, anywhere they can get in.  The roaches pick it up on their feet , take it back to the nest and kills them all.  Four years, roach free.  They will get into everything, love the dark and wet.  Some have even developed a taste for the plastic coating on electrical wiring.

That's true and squirrels chewing on wires. You know why? They use peanut oil on the shielding! Help preserve the plastic. So them critters think they are yummy.

Edited by technonymous, 07 December 2015 - 09:53 AM.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 09:51 AM

I just serviced my PC, Clean heat sink, new thermal paste, clean fan blades that sort of thing, but before I put the side back on I used an old rag with some pest control stuff on it to gently wipe as much of the inside of the case as I could, Then I put the side back on and used the same rag to wipe the outside of the case, I also sprayed the little hutch in my desk including the underside.

NOTICE.

Please use heavy duty rubber gloves to do this.

Yeah, and a noise bag (mask) Believe me you will sicker than a dog if you don't. Makes my nose itch just thinking about it.

Edited by technonymous, 07 December 2015 - 09:51 AM.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 02:54 PM

I've been doing field service for 45 years and the environmental hazards have been wild and even ironic. One place made pesticides (rat poison) but couldn't keep them out of their own warehouse.  A tour in the kitchen of your favorite resturaunt is not advised.  Mice droppings, roaches and for those in the desert southwest, snakes, toads and lizards, are daily fare in even the highest priced places. Home encounters begin with crawl spaces, attics and manholes.  Spiders, especially a tarantula can cause heart failure but few are venomous.  Plastic coveralls, masks and eye protection can make for difficult work and will turn into a sauna will only little effort.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:40 PM

I grew up poor in Chicago, I can tell you about roaches. You really want to get rid of them?  Ok, here is what will work, guaranteed. I used this method on several apartments; when I was first married we lived in a small apartment in a nice area, but it was infested with the little curses. I did my thing and within 2 days there were no more roaches. The rest of the tenants were about to sue the landlord, but we were fine- they had the roaches and we didn't. The young woman in the apartment below was being driven bonkers by them and asked for help, so one Saturday afternoon I worked on her apartment, and the roaches stopped in her place. She literally baked us a cake for thanks (it was good, to!).

The principle is that roaches access your apartment from between the walls. They actually aren't living in your apartment, they come out at night.  What you do is plug all the access points, and then kill the remaining ones trapped in your apartment. Finis.

You work on all the rooms in the apartment, but the main problem rooms are the kitchen and the bathroom. Go to a hardware store and get a couple of tubes of the cheapest latex caulk with a caulking gun. Check under the Kitchen sink and Bathroom link, shower and tub; where the supply pipes and the drain pipe come through the wall usually are gaps around the pipes. Caulk all around those. If the holes are too large, cut pieces of thin aluminum sheeting, masonite - anything - and tape or glue them tight around the pipes to seal the pipe holes. Now pull out the refrigerator and stove and caulk the baseboards behind them. Examine all the baseboards and run a thin line of caulk where ever there are gaps of any kind. Do this for every room including closets.

After that, sprinkle a thin line of ortho Boric Acid (I like the brand called Roach Pruf, but there are others) around every room's perimeter, at the bottom of the baseboards only, including under the kitchen sink, bath, behind the refrig and stove.  Seal any crack you see that accesses into the wall. That's it. By the way, don't forget to staple a cheap felt strip to seal the gap under the front door (if there is one). Believe me, this will work.

Edited by ranchhand_, 07 December 2015 - 05:42 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:04 PM

I have to wear gloves, eye protection and dust mask cause man that concentrated dust has mites and all kinds of garbage in it, old human skin, hairs. Yuck! Not to mention I am allergic to cat hair/dander to start with. That dust can really choke you up and will make you sick too. I can recall coming down with a cold, runny nose, turned to chest cold, and sore throat, ear ache. I learned my lesson years ago. Working on old system and arcades. You find all kinds of dead rodents, and bugs. Not to mention you're touching buttons and panels that other people touched. Believe it or not your keyboard has more bugs on it than your toilet seat. When they talk about that on tv and stuff it is absolutely true. They have proven that with lab work and culture swabs. When I worked in a chip fab you had to wear a full bunny suit. Not only for your protection, but mainly to protect the fab from you. Us humans drop lots of hairs and skin. The ultra clean rooms only have a couple particles per square foot, because they use air scrubbers. I enjoyed working in ultra cleanroom as it was the most clean air you will ever breath. After work you are literally coughing because the outside air is worse. It was like walking into a smokey bar are something.

Edited by technonymous, 08 December 2015 - 06:52 AM.

#11 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

I grew up poor in Chicago, I can tell you about roaches. You really want to get rid of them?  Ok, here is what will work, guaranteed. I used this method on several apartments; when I was first married we lived in a small apartment in a nice area, but it was infested with the little curses. I did my thing and within 2 days there were no more roaches. The rest of the tenants were about to sue the landlord, but we were fine- they had the roaches and we didn't. The young woman in the apartment below was being driven bonkers by them and asked for help, so one Saturday afternoon I worked on her apartment, and the roaches stopped in her place. She literally baked us a cake for thanks (it was good, to!).

The principle is that roaches access your apartment from between the walls. They actually aren't living in your apartment, they come out at night.  What you do is plug all the access points, and then kill the remaining ones trapped in your apartment. Finis.

You work on all the rooms in the apartment, but the main problem rooms are the kitchen and the bathroom. Go to a hardware store and get a couple of tubes of the cheapest latex caulk with a caulking gun. Check under the Kitchen sink and Bathroom link, shower and tub; where the supply pipes and the drain pipe come through the wall usually are gaps around the pipes. Caulk all around those. If the holes are too large, cut pieces of thin aluminum sheeting, masonite - anything - and tape or glue them tight around the pipes to seal the pipe holes. Now pull out the refrigerator and stove and caulk the baseboards behind them. Examine all the baseboards and run a thin line of caulk where ever there are gaps of any kind. Do this for every room including closets.

After that, sprinkle a thin line of ortho Boric Acid (I like the brand called Roach Pruf, but there are others) around every room's perimeter, at the bottom of the baseboards only, including under the kitchen sink, bath, behind the refrig and stove.  Seal any crack you see that accesses into the wall. That's it. By the way, don't forget to staple a cheap felt strip to seal the gap under the front door (if there is one). Believe me, this will work.

A real bad infestation I heard of people draping the entire house and pump gas something like carbon monoxide into the home. That's the nuclear bomb approach.

#12 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:22 PM

The Hawaiian species loved the warm insulation in refrigerators.  Impossible to get rid of them at that point.  I was roach free for two years but in the four weeks it took to ship household goods stateside, I was infested again.  An no foodstuffs were packed.  It was all sealed in a crate too.  There has been some success with the ultra-sonic units but they aren't too pet friendly.  Having grown up in Minnesota, roaches were a new thing and getting rid of them a chore.  Once clean, inspection of all foodstuffs brought in and especially from farmers markets or roadside is needed.

#13 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:59 AM

animated-cockroach-image-0010.gif

Now you've done it!  They've infested the forum!  :spider

Edited by Naught McNoone, 08 December 2015 - 01:03 AM.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 01:08 AM

Never fear a BC Advisor  is here.

squashed-bug.jpg

Edited by NickAu, 08 December 2015 - 01:09 AM.

#15 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 08 December 2015 - 02:18 AM

My first experience with cock roaches was in the Navy Recruit barracks in San Diego.  Eighty guys were hustled into a barracks for their first night.  Lights went out for three hours until revelie and the lights came on.  Moments before the floor was black, when the lights hit, it immediately turned white as all the roaches scattered.  Glad I didn't try to get up in the dark.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users